Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help for a new hunter, please

Re: Help for a new hunter, please

Thanks, Maglic.

That's sound advice regarding the chains. I actually do have a set for my truck but recently bought slightly larger tires for my truck and haven't tried them out on them to see if they will fit. I'll get on that.
    “Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.” - Hemingway

fozzy is offline hunting 4 a decent Mulie

Once you start seeing Does, especially big groups of Does hunt that area.
    if you find an area with decent sign sit and watch it till dark. Places with lots of pressure the deer are nocturnal and won’t be out in the open during the day.
    Find a likely clearing or edge of a cut block away from the roads and watch that. Think about going where most people are too lazy to go, it’s pockets like that where the deer will feel safe.

Thank you for the help, fozzy.

I'm in pretty good shape, so I don't mind busting my hump to get to an area that sees less hunting pressure. I will try what you suggested.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Centerfire; 11-01-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    “Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.” - Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by weatherby_man View Post
    I dont know all the tricks but when I use Google Earth I use it mainly to look for areas I think may hold deer if I am unfamiliar with that area, look for areas that have what deer (and all mammals) need, water-food-shelter/cover. You can always find good looking paces just off the beaten path and away from the road hunters, and usually the hikes using GPS arent that bad or too long,, esp in 3. Although, the blowdown in some of those areas and around tunkwa and leighton are very challenging. Find a few good looking spots that may be along a line that you can do in a few hours and hit them off one by one, look for trails and sign and if you see that you're likely guna see game. You have to sort of figure it out as you go once you're onto to sign and deery looking spots. Are you near a cutblock, do you want to wait and glass that or try and bump a bedded buck, its all part of the fun. Its a lifelong journey, dont rush. For me, some of my best days are just really nice hikes ....
    Take his advice and you'll do alright....

Thanks, Harry. Love the name, by the way.

Getting out of the truck is good but aimlessly hiking trying to cover ground is not. Hiking and covering ground is for scouting to find areas to hunt. Still hunting, ambush, calling or glassing to set up a stalk is productive though

Pick a species and research it’s needs, preference in habitat and it’s habits and focus on that species. Knowledge wins and spreading yourself thin lows the learning curve. This goes for traveling everywhere pick areas and get to know them. It’s about knowing the pockets within an area. Odds are you can pick any MU and there is a hunter who is always successful there and other who always fail.

too tired to type long day at work but simply put slow down. Pay attention to sign it can be more valuable then seeing animals in the long run when learning an area, get to know the animal you want to hunt, and think small when looking about hunting spots it’s not about km’s

Thanks, Wild one! I appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
    Thanks, Harry. Love the name, by the way.
    You bet bud...play the wind, play the sign...

I started hunting a couple years with a bow (before I got my PAL). I have gotten a couple black tails in the short time I have hunted. First ever time hunting I shot a blacktail with the bow. When I switched over to a rifle, I stopped seeing as much game because I started hunting differently. Once I started hunting with my rifle like I did with my bow, I started seeing game again.

Point is, get out of the truck and hike into areas where you think you will see game. Hike in like you have a bow in your hands and the only shot you will get is if you are super quiet and sneak up on a deer. Whenever I hunt like this, I see a lot more deer than I do most days smashing roads and putting on major miles.

Also, high pressure areas are sometimes nice when you hunt like this because all the people on atvs, dirt bikes, trucks push the deer into the smaller pockets of bush.

Just some of my experience as a new hunter that has severed me well for getting a couple black tails in the last couple of years. I am still learning a lot though.

Best of luck!

Thanks, AllDay.