Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thompson Steelhead

Re: Thompson Steelhead

The recreational fishers seem to always say "not us". Never claimed they were the reason for the real demise, that is entirely in the hands and responsibility of both the Federal and Provincial Governments. Put the blame where it belongs, not on any one group that obeyed the laws they were governed by.

All groups that touch the Steelhead in one way or another are to blame to some degree. That being said the stock could take a certain amount of mortality before the large scale commercial Chum fishery was allowed by DFO. Fly over the Fraser when it is on and a minnow couldn't make it through the nets. The saddest thing is the Chums are mostly killed for dog food or their roe. It is rather frustrating to watch.....

No matter how you cut it, the responsibility remains with the Government agencies that are supposed to manage the stocks. They were created for and given the job. They have failed miserably.

I watched on group of natives fish salmon. The men would dip net the fish, the kids would pack them up to the road and the women would clean the fish and pack the fish on ice in coolers. That was intresting. Another group that I watched would net the fish, throw then in the trunk of their cars and run around selling them and what they didn't sell they threw in a ditch along a road.

the chum roe makes the chum fisherey more profitable than sockeye.

Sold to overseas markets and sturgeon fisherman absolutely sickening.
    F-ck DFO.

Just like our upper Fraser stock Chinook and sockeye. Mismanaged by DFO into extinction!

I have to say, this was the first time I never saw anyone on the rivers along the Thompson/Fraser during the long weekend of November.
    Thinking maybe it is closed to steelhead??? (I haven't stayed in the loop of what is happening other then #'s are real bad).
    That should tell everyone the state of affairs for Steelhead and the DFO is to blame!