Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are black bears still out and about?

Re: Are black bears still out and about?

I ran into a nice one 3 days ago in region 4.

There is one creeping around my chicken coop....I was nice and only nailed him with some rubber balls from a shotgun to dissuade him, but apparently he is undeterred and the dogs are going nuts half the day.

Next time I see him he's getting a 129gr LRAB from a 6.5 Grendel....
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

One black bear spotted near Tunkwa Lake yesterday

The bears I've encountered this late in the year(interior) have looked almost drunk. I'm thinking it's the transition stage to get ready for hibernation. At any rate, if you have a left over tag from spring, then try your luck in combination with deer. But unless you have a situation like Gates, where one is frequenting a certain location, I wouldn't spend money on a bear tag this time of year.

Yeah, i wouldn't buy a bear tag now either, but I have one left over from the spring. it's often good insurance to have one in case you have problems in camp with one, I suppose.

PG66 and I did have one creep up behind us while we were having lunch on the edge of a cliff in late November though. Sneaky little ******* was sizing us up. Possibly if there was only one of us things might have ended differently. We found his tracks in the snow and he was really just a few feet from us, must have been really sneaky because we didn't hear him at all.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Still out in Fruitvale BC

Definitely still out in Region 2 (as usual... they're usually out until at least December)

We had a encounter reminiscent of "asshole bear" last night. Bear came up to caddisgirls side of the jeep (finally I catch a break LOL) and pushed in the soft plastic window by her head. It messed around pushing on the spare tire too. Glad it didn't climb up on the soft top. I turned on the jeep and it buggered off. I'll take the blame. We had a spent mountain house bag (breakfast skillet!) on her side, cooler with food in the back, as well as a couple empty red bull and bud light cans in a plastic bag hanging from the back (it poked around with that too) Normally we keep the cooler outside and garbage 20 yards away (if they're around I want to hear them screwing around before they get close)

Totally preventable and good reminder. Our mistake, 100%. Hopefully this didn't condition it in anyway and spooking it off was educational, but if I had a do-over this probably wouldn't have happened.

Glad the clocks went back an hour last night to equal out the lost sleep. caddisgirl was pretty pumped after that. I knew exactly how she felt. That adrenaline and no way to spend it. I don't think she got much sleep after that. Now that we're home she's passed out and sleeping like a log.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-03-2019 at 12:21 PM.

If you want to see one.... just don't go bear hunting with me.

I have seen one in the last 5 years, around this time last year a boar came in while I was just screwing around with my fawn distress call while eating lunch deer hunting.

Going that route next weekend.

Region 8 lots still out and about .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Saw three and a griz above Clearwater this weekend.