Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new leather boot break in

Re: new leather boot break in

thanks for the feedback everyone!

did some more digging and found out that you should avoid any treatments with animal products on goretex lined boots. the natural oils start to clog/degrade the efficacy of the goretex membrane. so mink oil for me was a no-go.

A buddy of mine had some Danner's boot treatment, which is synthetic and works with gore-tex. Gave the boots a good clean with warm water, also recommended to open up the leather pores a bit, and then put on the sealer. will check out the nikwax as well for my own supplies.

so far, about 30km on the boots (including some easy flat ground break in), holding up great. had a full day in the rain and my feet were warm and dry the whole time. Also great support on the thick and nasty slopes, so i'm very happy with the model so far.

I use silicone spray. It's the only thing that keeps my feet dry in a typical pouring rain south island hunt.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Hanwag has the best boot care advice i have seen on there web site
    " Never tell me the Odds "

I use my boots pretty much weekly and always war them til they fall apart. I don't pay a lot of attention to show-care, and all boots lasted me 5+ years (used to swear by Scarpa, now Asolos, if I ever win the lottery I'll buy Schnees) . All I do is rise them off when there is salt involved (snow) and apply mink-oil in paste form before and after every winter.

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    thanks for the feedback everyone!

did some more digging and found out that you should avoid any treatments with animal products on goretex lined boots. the natural oils start to clog/degrade the efficacy of the goretex membrane. so mink oil for me was a no-go.
    I talked to a boot manufacturer on a tradeshow once and he said that was BS (don't shoot the messenger). His reasoning made sense: The membrane is behind the leather, any leather treatment does not reach the membrane, and it's only purpose is to keep the leather exterior in good shape. All I can say is that I have worn goretex leather boots for years while applying Mink oil (sporadically) and never had any issues with the membrane. The shoes stayed water proof and ... well.. "breathability" on leather hiking boots is more wishful thinking than anything else anyways, goretex or not. Maybe my feed just sweat a lot and "overload" the membrane even on new boots Good socks help more than goretex.

To all the minks that are reading this: Sorry!!!!

very good to know! Also sounds like you are not over saturating the leather with oil, so that's gotta help protect the goretex too. good to hear about some boots that have been tested over time and a proper amount of use.

learning lots, thanks.

I agree with Bustercluck. Use what the manufacturer recommends.
    I bought a pair of Hanwag Alaskan this spring. Included in the purchase was a can of Hanwag boot wax. It is a beeswax based leather treatment/waterproofing. It is twice the cost for half the amount of an equivalent product most of us are familiar with. Good old Sno Seal!
    Semper in excretum altum