Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new leather boot break in

new leather boot break in

howdy - just picked up a new pair of scarpa kailash boots. Leather exterior, goretex, good sole. something proper for hiking and hunting.

what is a good treatment for the leather before i take them out? guy in the store recommended mink oil, but just wanted to hear what everyone else has been doing to keep their boots in good shape.

had my share of leather work boots, but never bothered much for maintenance on them, just beat them to crap until the next pair. in contrast, i want these new boots to last a bit longer haha.

thanks for the tips

picture of the boots:

2. Site Sponsor

Re: new leather boot break in

obenauf's
    atsko sno seal
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Nikwax 100%. I have been using my scarpa escape GTX boots for well over 5 years and they're still in great condition.

obenauf's is what i use on my scarpa sl active

I've found Mink oil in, "Paste form" to be superior to everything that has been suggested so far.

Running Scarpa sl actives.
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    I've found Mink oil in, "Paste form" to be superior to everything that has been suggested so far.

Running Scarpa sl actives.

Heat boots up in the oven 200 f for a bit to start
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

I’d go with whatever the manufacturer recommends. Especially something that is good with goretex. I put some viberg boot grease on my scarpa boots and they haven’t been waterproof since. Maybe it’s a coincidence, but they started leaking very shortly after I greased them.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I think they recommended nikwax when I emailed them
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I use Nikwax on my Scarpa boots as per the recommendations of staff at the store I purchased them. Works well. The Viberg grease is great on my non-gortex leather boots but is not recommended for gortex.

I've used the Nikwax for years and it works, just doesn't last very long. Applying the wax when the boot is damp works best. I switched to Grangers boot waterproofer and imo it works way better, lasts longer and it is safe to use with goretex. Be careful with mink oils and some of the other boot treatments if they aren't approved for goretex they can ruin the goretex membrane.