Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kamloops mule deer

Re: Kamloops mule deer

I think good ol uncle ted has a good video on this topic. Ill find it an link it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFMWKn30_rY

He hits home on some very good points that come to play in this very thread.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Myself and my crew shoot every spike we see too. We never see any big bucks where we hunt. I am always wondering what is up with that?
    If you shoot every spike you see they will never grow into big buck

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    If you shoot every spike you see they will never grow into big buck
    If you shoot every spike you see you're either poaching, or you only saw one spike. The one spike you shot won't become a big buck, but the 11 spikes you didn't see will get bigger. Some may get shot as twos, some may get shot as threes etc.

BC record book has 1500 mule deer entered. All those bucks survived harvest until they were jaw droppers. Majority were harvested by Joe Sixpack looking for any buck
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Wouldn't focusing deer harvest on any buck, leave more larger 4 point bucks roaming the landscape? Remember that the average hunter just wants to fill the freezer with some good meat. In the 5 management units around Kamloops (3-19, 3-20, 3-27, 3-28, 3-29) there is 2300 mule deer taken annually, averaging five years of harvest, 90% of which are bucks. I do not think there is a concern of lack of mule deer sperm supply. Mature bucks do not have to be in high numbers to get does pregnant.

We all love to see big bucks and lots of them, but we should not look down on fellow hunters for shooting any deer they legally can harvest. If you want to hold out for a large buck, or whatever buck, that's your choice. You don't need a 4 point only season to make that decision for you
    Yup, I agree.
    I do pass up on smaller bucks hoping that one day it will turn into a bigger buck.
    That being said, I know many fellow hunters would take it.
    I don't generally hunt the any buck season any more, as I never found it a good time for finding larger bucks within the limited time I have to
    get out, so I wait til 4 pt season only.

All being said, no one should look down on a person taking spike bucks.
    After all, the main intent of hunting is putting meat in the freezer, which is better earlier on in the season then later for sure.
    For someone like me, trying to look for mature bucks, and the meat not being on the top of the list at this time of season, it is easy for me
    to pass up deer, even legal 4 pts looking for the bigger buck etc.
    It is what it is, I am happy for someone who gets their deer, especially a spiker.
    Now with the new limits on MD, we should see a difference in coming years.
    Some will continue on as always, while others may now hold out longer.
    And holding out usually means "2 stay in the bush" and the one in the hand is passed up!

Hopefully this change in Regs may mean a few less guys out there come late November etc??? (they have tagged out).
    I do hope that eventually Regions like R5 open up again during Nov 10th thru 20th again, as I definitely have seen the increased pressure
    on other MU's in R3 that surround R5 at that time, and that I feel really hurts those MU's, imo.

So, just remember, we have just had a major change to MD limits, so lets all just give it it's due process and time to take effect.
    If you want to hunt still, but have tagged out, well there is a bunch of wolves that need to be removed.
    Just, lets not judge each other please....
    We have too much of that going on already "outside of the hunting community".
    Enjoy and Unite!!

Those Really big bucks are so elusive so hard to find (smart) than average Joe who runs his truck along forest road hardly ever see them..bucks are mostly moving at dark..I,ll be hunting here around 20+years ,,,,seen maybe 3-4 king of the forest,,never have real chance to shoot one,,,I,m just filling my freeser,,,not after big rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Now with the new limits on MD, we should see a difference in coming years.
    rising ungulate population that will overbrowse diminishing winter range. Wolves and cougars will take what we are no longer are allowed to

Wouldn't focusing deer harvest on any buck, leave more larger 4 point bucks roaming the landscape? Remember that the average hunter just wants to fill the freezer with some good meat. In the 5 management units around Kamloops (3-19, 3-20, 3-27, 3-28, 3-29) there is 2300 mule deer taken annually, averaging five years of harvest, 90% of which are bucks. I do not think there is a concern of lack of mule deer sperm supply. Mature bucks do not have to be in high numbers to get does pregnant.

We all love to see big bucks and lots of them, but should not look down on fellow hunters for shooting any deer they legally can harvest. If you want to hold out for a large buck, or whatever buck, that's your choice. You don't need a 4 point only season to make that decision for you

I have heard all this parroted plenty of times, we even agree on most, however I just brought it up as food for thought albeit blunt, and what I thought was rather humorous. I have heard a lot of people on here talking out of both side of their mouth on the topic of not being able to find a big/mature or respectable deer and shooting the ONLY deer they came across. I find this an oxymoron. In order for mature bucks to “show” themselves or “come down” from anywhere some of them need to live long enough to be able to do that. A quick look at the record books shows that is not happening as of late but a strong harvest continues. A study in the EK showed as low as 3 bucks per 100 does which strongly suggest over harvest of the male component. That being said they still had decent fawn recruitment which means even those ratios work. Is it healthy? Is that considered good management? I doubt it.
    I see more restrictions coming....

Anyways to the OP, seen you posting as long as I can remember. I really shouldn't of sent this your way, I am not trolling you. Happy hunting to you and the grandkids, myself I will be out to the bitter end if it means I am hunting 1 more day, and if it means I come up dry thats fine too.

rising ungulate population that will overbrowse diminishing winter range. Wolves and cougars will take what we are no longer are allowed to
    Managers still have LEH as a tool if the season changes do actually make a difference in population.
    What I have noticed is more hunters during any buck here then in the past. Thanksgiving weekend is busy.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)