Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Kamloops mule deer

Re: Kamloops mule deer

There is a lot of MUs that have not had a count in years and numbers are not reliable. This is a funding issue for sure

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I have contacted a reg 3 biologist regarding some data for a few areas I hunt and he was very vague about everything.

Am I allowed to demand to see the data myself, especially on collared deer, or do I have to rely on his synopsis of it?

They have collared some animals and I'd like to see their migration and movement patterns.
    No, they aren’t going to give you access to that information. You will be able to see some of it when the study is finished.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    No, they aren’t going to give you access to that information. You will be able to see some of it when the study is finished.
    yes. You have a legal right to the info , unfortunately you will have to do an foi to get it. There is a reason tens Of millions are spent on studies with no results or actionable outcomes

If the BC Liberals got in, they were supposedly going to put all our hunting license revenue back into wildlife and habitat....that is ultimately what we need, as that would lead to proper counts.....reg 3 is a stronghold for mule deer, and that is why I hope they continue the liberal seasons on WT there...

Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionJunkie View Post
    Without actually being a part of that world as they say. What I, or anyone else form the outside says needs to be taken with a grain of salt. However I would be willing to bet that the level of actual hard numbers and data that you’re looking for is quite minimal. Specifically if you were to compare it to the data out of any number of western states. I suspect our funding levels prevent actual hard data from being collected to the same levels. And if it is in fact on par with other organizations, they’re not openly sharing it in the same fashion. It doesn’t take a google ninja to be able to drill down into all kinds of info and studies done in any number of western states. Along with harvest data, Hunter participation, weapons used, days hunted, you name it. Trying to access similar info out of BC is much different. Hell you can get a better picture of the condition of Idaho pheasant population if you’d like. If I’m not way out of touch on what info is available and what info exists. Then it points, for me at least, towards one piece of the problem pie. That is, how do you accurately manage and deal with a population and seasons without all the information and tools possible?

Again who knows maybe all of that is out there and known to the same extent as other jurisdictions, but it’s just not as readily available.
    There is simply not enough money or people to do the jobs. We can’t possibly have such a massive area managed with so few people and such little cash. Most of our management units are the size of actual USA states. If we had the resources to run each MU individually instead of “governing” the entire province like one big MU then we could really scrutinize the science.
    if and only if, we had the resources.
    and sadly, that will only happen with a revolutionary change in government, politics, public opinion, and most importantly education.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    If the BC Liberals got in, they were supposedly going to put all our hunting license revenue back into wildlife and habitat....that is ultimately what we need, as that would lead to proper counts.....reg 3 is a stronghold for mule deer, and that is why I hope they continue the liberal seasons on WT there...
    the NDP have decided they are going to use the money for fake online surveys to ban more species...
    Just like their GBear survey they had.....supposedly!
    There are some WT in Hat Creek area that need to be taken out if anyone is interested. (North end more)

Being on the Island ,I ‘ve Never shot a white tail...be interested in knowing when and where within reasonable during distance

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Being on the Island ,I ‘ve Never shot a white tail...be interested in knowing when and where within reasonable during distance
    well I am sitting in a stand right so I hope right now is good timing lol

Where is a matter of finding pockets. If you can think of areas you have seen WT in the past start there. Get out of the truck and explore for pinch points and sign. This time of year find rubs/scrapes

Quote Originally Posted by Deaddog View Post
    yes. You have a legal right to the info , unfortunately you will have to do an foi to get it. There is a reason tens Of millions are spent on studies with no results or actionable outcomes
    Have you followed this process before? What was it like? Curious what you did. You can PM me if you wish.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by slowjo View Post
    There is simply not enough money or people to do the jobs. We can’t possibly have such a massive area managed with so few people and such little cash. Most of our management units are the size of actual USA states. If we had the resources to run each MU individually instead of “governing” the entire province like one big MU then we could really scrutinize the science.
    if and only if, we had the resources.
    and sadly, that will only happen with a revolutionary change in government, politics, public opinion, and most importantly education.

Completely agree with you. Hopefully there will be some of those changes to govt and the system. But it feels more likely that we experience a self consuming loop where we keep rationing ever smaller pieces of an ever shrinking pie without enacting any growth.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"