Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Kamloops mule deer

Re: Kamloops mule deer

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Much of Western NA has seen mule deer populations s decline in recent years. The problem isn’t exclusive to just BC

There’s a reason that there is a Mule Deer Foundation... and there’s a good reason why there isn’t a Whitetail Deer Foundation.

SSS
    Guess you never heard of whitetails unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Guess you never heard of whitetails unlimited
    you are correct. Never heard of it?
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

We like to bitch and bitch anecdotally, but never see the data from biologist about what is really happening. I was under the assumption from the regional biologist (R3) that there wasn't an emergency, but that was five years ago.

Go to see if I can track down historical mule deer counts for R3. Does anybody have these numbers here?

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    We like to bitch and bitch anecdotally, but never see the data from biologist about what is really happening. I was under the assumption from the regional biologist (R3) that there wasn't an emergency, but that was five years ago.

Go to see if I can track down historical mule deer counts for R3. Does anybody have these numbers here?
    Ive never seen the flight data from Region 3 but I’m sure it was similar to the Region 8 counts. Low buck to doe ratios in several MUs....but good fawn to doe ratios in early December across the board.

The bios from Idaho who are collaborating on the Southern Interior Mule Deer project reviewed the numbers from before the study began and told them that low buck to doe ratios were not the cause of the decreasing mule deer populations that we have seen in much of the interior. The pregnancy rates in the first part of the study just confirmed that.

SSS
    Last edited by Stone Sheep Steve; 11-05-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

you are correct. Never heard of it?
    Even whitetail have a group focused on whitetail conservation. There was also major efforts to rebuild whitetail populations in parts of the US in the past. They are not invisible but have had extremely successful improvements to there populations across most of North America. A lot of crazy assumptions about whitetail in BC

Mule deer are definitely more fragile and there is a reason most provinces/states manage them in a way stricter fashion then BC. BC would be wise to follow suit in my opinion

Ive never seen the flight data from Region 3 but I’m sure it was similar to the Region 8 counts. Low buck to doe ratios in several MUs....but good fawn to doe ratios in early December across the board.

The bios from Idaho who are collaborating on the Southern Interior Mule Deer project reviewed the numbers from before the study began and told them that low buck to doe ratios were not the cause of the decreasing mule deer populations that we have seen in much of the interior. The pregnancy rates in the first part of the study just confirmed that.

SSS
    Region 3 a lot of MUs fell shy or hovered in the lower 20% mark before the switch to the 1 MD limit

Not that I believe ratios it a huge factor in BCs Mule deer decline I would place bets if you send BCs data on ratios to every MD province and state you will get a mix of options on the impact it has on the herd

I have contacted a reg 3 biologist regarding some data for a few areas I hunt and he was very vague about everything.

Am I allowed to demand to see the data myself, especially on collared deer, or do I have to rely on his synopsis of it?

They have collared some animals and I'd like to see their migration and movement patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I have contacted a reg 3 biologist regarding some data for a few areas I hunt and he was very vague about everything.

Am I allowed to demand to see the data myself, especially on collared deer, or do I have to rely on his synopsis of it?

They have collared some animals and I'd like to see their migration and movement patterns.
    Don’t think they are obligated to provide that data if memory serves me correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Here is the newest draft plan for 2020 - 2025 MD management Plan from our near USA neighbors of Idaho.
    15 bucks or greater to 100 does.

Long read, but addresses almost exactly the same concerns as here, imo.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/draft-management-plan-mule-deer-may-30-2019.pdf
    There is a lot of private property in Idaho where hunters can't go without permission. I have hunted in Northern Idaho several times with success but was on private property. Picking weapon and season has helped increase deer population. A lot of hunters there will not hunt doe's.
    “Professionalism: It’s NOT the job you DO, It’s HOW you DO the job.”
    — Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

Without actually being a part of that world as they say. What I, or anyone else form the outside says needs to be taken with a grain of salt. However I would be willing to bet that the level of actual hard numbers and data that you’re looking for is quite minimal. Specifically if you were to compare it to the data out of any number of western states. I suspect our funding levels prevent actual hard data from being collected to the same levels. And if it is in fact on par with other organizations, they’re not openly sharing it in the same fashion. It doesn’t take a google ninja to be able to drill down into all kinds of info and studies done in any number of western states. Along with harvest data, Hunter participation, weapons used, days hunted, you name it. Trying to access similar info out of BC is much different. Hell you can get a better picture of the condition of Idaho pheasant population if you’d like. If I’m not way out of touch on what info is available and what info exists. Then it points, for me at least, towards one piece of the problem pie. That is, how do you accurately manage and deal with a population and seasons without all the information and tools possible?

Again who knows maybe all of that is out there and known to the same extent as other jurisdictions, but it’s just not as readily available.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"