Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kamloops mule deer

Kamloops mule deer

We got a couple of nice spikes thanksgiving weekend,lots of does but no big bucks.We heard of someone seeing a 5 point but saw nothing of any size ourselves . We’re done but I’m wondering if the big bucks are starting to show now..with that amount of does,the bucks are going to be there sometime

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kamloops mule deer

i going to find out next week

Myself and my crew shoot every spike we see too. We never see any big bucks where we hunt. I am always wondering what is up with that?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Myself and my crew shoot every spike we see too. We never see any big bucks where we hunt. I am always wondering what is up with that?
    you must be to noisy when your walking !!!!!
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

LOL. Too funny.

One was my granddaughters first deer...the other was my sons..I never loaded my rifle...the big bucks tend to show up a bit later,which was the reason for my question...but thanks for the advice on deer management anyway..

are you suggesting that killing a 1.5yr old buck is reducing the mature buck dynamic in the population?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    One was my granddaughters first deer...the other was my sons..I never loaded my rifle...the big bucks tend to show up a bit later,which was the reason for my question...but thanks for the advice on deer management anyway..
    Hey congrates to the youth. Its a shared resource and everyone participating has different goals. Management feels they have done there job if they provide someone an opportunity for a deer no matter what the size. It is always nice to hear of youth hunting, it would have been a good part of your story too.
    Last edited by Husky7mm; 10-30-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    are you suggesting that killing a 1.5yr old buck is reducing the mature buck dynamic in the population?
    Absolutely. Mature bucks are such a small part of the population because most never live to see maturity, the recreational demand is too high. In poor access areas I have passed on countless deer and see a good bunch of them next year a little bigger and a little closer to maturity. If I choose to shoot them because they are legal or I am only hunting for meat or I have my kids shoot them then that natural progression halts. Very basic.....

Wouldn't focusing deer harvest on any buck, leave more larger 4 point bucks roaming the landscape? Remember that the average hunter just wants to fill the freezer with some good meat. In the 5 management units around Kamloops (3-19, 3-20, 3-27, 3-28, 3-29) there is 2300 mule deer taken annually, averaging five years of harvest, 90% of which are bucks. I do not think there is a concern of lack of mule deer sperm supply. Mature bucks do not have to be in high numbers to get does pregnant.

We all love to see big bucks and lots of them, but we should not look down on fellow hunters for shooting any deer they legally can harvest. If you want to hold out for a large buck, or whatever buck, that's your choice. You don't need a 4 point only season to make that decision for you
    Last edited by todbartell; 10-30-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004