Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kamloops mule deer

Re: Kamloops mule deer

All those fawns you see in the spring came from somewhere,and it wasn’t Immaculate conception...I rarely see big bucks during the year,only does and fawns but right now they are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    All those fawns you see in the spring came from somewhere,and it wasn’t Immaculate conception...I rarely see big bucks during the year,only does and fawns but right now they are everywhere.
    Yup, I would agree.
    And I think while the MD study was underway at the start of the program, that all Does were prego!
    So they are getting bred.

And healthy Does have 2 fawns.
    Now, I see lots of Does with 2 offspring, but not all.
    And what about come winter, after the season???
    Do all the fawns make it?????
    And yes, as the OP, I am talking about Kammy.
    Also, Cougars are not on the radar as much as wolves when it comes to discussions etc, but many studies seem in the end,
    blame Cougars over wolves as the issue.

I think that's where we might see a problem...…(fawn survival and migration)
    That study should be interesting when made public.

Quote Originally Posted by sakohunter View Post
    At 20 bucks to 100 does that is still lower than the great mule states. I am not saying that is a bad number if that is what the MOE determines is the right ratio for the carrying capacity, but why have other managment area tried to get higher numbers of bucks? Quality muley bucks means more hunter dollars.
    Here is the newest draft plan for 2020 - 2025 MD management Plan from our near USA neighbors of Idaho.
    15 bucks or greater to 100 does.

Long read, but addresses almost exactly the same concerns as here, imo.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/draft-management-plan-mule-deer-may-30-2019.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Here is the newest draft plan for 2020 - 2025 MD management Plan from our near USA neighbors of Idaho.
    15 bucks or greater to 100 does.

Long read, but addresses almost exactly the same concerns as here, imo.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/draft-management-plan-mule-deer-may-30-2019.pdf
    Some teasers…….

“Mule deer populations are ultimately limited by the quality and quantity of habitat”

Government Direction >>>>>> Objectives>>>>>>>>Results Driven

Hunter surveys indicate Idaho hunters strongly value opportunities to harvest mature bucks as well as opportunities to hunt mule deer annually.
    "Unlike antlerless harvest, hunter success and harvest of bucks tend to follow the population trajectory, rather than influence that trajectory. Existing information suggests that <5 bucks:100 does are required for mule deer breeding purposes. However, opinion surveys suggest that hunter satisfaction declines at buck:doe ratios less than 15:100. IDFG will continue to provide a range of buck hunting opportunities (Table 2) across the state to meet the various motivations and preferences of Idaho mule deer hunters. Because of varying social attitudes and preferences, mule deer population characteristics, and habitat variability across Idaho, no single management tool is prescribed for achieving buck objectives. Rather, a variety of tools including season length and timing, weapon restrictions, area specific tags, controlled hunts, and others, will be evaluated (see hunter congestion section)."
    Longer Seasons Seventy-eight percent of survey respondents favored, or would accept, longer seasons as a method to reduce hunter congestion. Longer seasons could be achieved by adding days at the beginning or end of the any-weapon season, expanding short-range weapon/muzzleloader only opportunities, and allowing youth either-sex hunts to coincide with general, any-weapon seasons (currently, some GMUs have shortened either-sex hunts for youth).
    Wallmo (1981), in his seminal book on mule deer noted that “the only generalization needed to account for the mule deer decline throughout the West is that practically every identified trend in land use and plant succession on the deer ranges is detrimental to deer. Hunting pressure and predators might be controlled, and favorable weather conditions could permit temporary recovery, but deer numbers ultimately are limited by habitat quality and quantity.”

MOTORIZED USE
    Since the late 1980’s, Idaho has witnessed a substantial increase in off-highway-vehicle (OHV) registrations not only for hunting, but for non-wildlife-based recreation. In 2017, there were 157,393 registered OHVs statewide, which is more than 20 times the number of those registered in 1989.

PREDATORS
    The primary predators of mule deer in Idaho are mountain lions (Puma concolor) and coyotes (Canis latrans). Additionally, bobcats (Lynx rufus), black bears (Ursus americanus), gray wolves (Canis lupus) and several other species utilize mule deer as part of their prey base. Vulnerability of mule deer to these various predators is dependent on age. For example, black bears utilize neonate mule deer (0–6 months) as part of their prey base, but have very little or no success with older fawns or adults.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^the MOE objective is 20 bucks:100 does - with the change to only 1 MD buck allowed per licence between regions 3 - 8, we should see the buck to doe ratio increase, with many hunters holding out for bigger bucks..
    That was purely social and will have a negligible impact. Very, very few hunters took more than one mule deer buck. No hard numbers but it's likely that was even more under-utilized than the antlerless whitetail season.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    That was purely social and will have a negligible impact. Very, very few hunters took more than one mule deer buck. No hard numbers but it's likely that was even more under-utilized than the antlerless whitetail season.
    In thirty plus years of hunting, I can only recall once where I took two mule deer bucks. Both hayfield deer if my memory serves me correctly.

Years ago I got asked about the region 5 regs conflicting with region 3...personaly thought 3 should follow 5 cause of region5 hunters migrating to 3..but the numbers...and they have statistics...late season harvest is a small % overall...mostly I am inclined to trust our bioligists..what I was getting at earlier...is if you are gonna be a trophy hunter..then be on ffs..logic would suggest that to acquire the designation "Trophy" it must be rare and difficult...thats the whole point..you accomplished a rare event...that is why it is a trophy..if it was easy? It disqualifies it as a trophy..
    Shooting a dink 4 point nullifies your trophy hunting desigation..."what you hold others to you should at the very least hold yourself"
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by longwalk View Post
    In thirty plus years of hunting, I can only recall once where I took two mule deer bucks. Both hayfield deer if my memory serves me correctly.
    I would like to see the harvest stats..you probably are right..but with a little effort and especially with the doe draws it was pretty easy to harvest a couple mulies.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

What about the whitetail in region 3, are they having an impact on the MD? or not yet?
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the the most intelligent , it is the one most adaptable to change"

Quote Originally Posted by simonvancouver View Post
    What about the whitetail in region 3, are they having an impact on the MD? or not yet?
    Whitetail have been here a very long time..they will impact mule deer only so much as the habitat has changed to favour whitetails.
    Last edited by horshur; 11-02-2019 at 07:14 PM.