Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercury outboard blues

Mercury outboard blues

I just bought a 1993 Mercury 9.9 model # 1010201ND. It starts great. It runs flat out great. But in between it sputters and sputs. It is new premium gas. It came with a boat and trailer. What should I do first?
    It has one of those funky turn the tiller counter clockwise it goes forward, turn it clockwise it goes in reverse.
    Fuel filter is clean. It has one of those adjustable idle speed and prime button combined. It sat for 8 years and I drained and added fresh gas and it started on the 3rd pull. Maiden voyage yesterday showed it would troll and go flat out but ran rough mid range. I will buy a new prop because someone decided the prop shouldn't have a slight curl in the lip. Might look around for a 1993 9.9 operating manual.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mercury outboard blues

Hmmm sounds like fuel supply. .when sputtering try the primer bulb..has it lost its prime..? Ensure tank has its air supply opened..
    when sputtering try pumping the primer bulb..
    That's first. .
    Second is the carb adjusted so it can idle down ?
    IMO sounds like fuel supply issue..
    good luck
    Watch out for the grizzlies..
    Srupp

#1 change the plug if you haven't already ... cheapest , easiest fix ever . Same for the filter .... sitting is hard on stuff . If still not running right , take the carb off and clean the jets .

Gummed up carb, maybe crap in the needle/seat. Give it a bath in carb cleaner. Could also add some Sea Foam to a tank of fuel, acts as a cleaner.

My 2005 Merc did the same thing. It was a small crack in the rubber primer plunger. Bought a new one, problem solved.

You might want to consider the complete new fuel line assembly - new quick connects, bulb and hoses. Hoses get brittle and the inner liner can separate and restrict. Replace it all then you don't second guess. You can even pick up a new tank at Riverview in Abbotsford for $25 or $30 - something like that.

Plugs need changing.

Carb cleaning as last resort unless this is no problem for you. This vintage of Merc is easy to work with.

unless stipulated, use regular octane fuel, the motor compression and timing are made for it.
    Check if carb and lines are ethanol friendly

Could run some SeaFoam through it but that may cause more troubles than it fixes.
    Last edited by boxhitch; 10-29-2019 at 06:37 PM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Had same problem with my 9.9 Johnston. Fuel pump had a crack in it. Replaced it all ok now.

Might also want to look at changing the impeller in the future. When they sit they dry out and engine stops cooling properly. If you watch the short video, You can see a difference between new and old impellers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbWPOSR6OQU
    Last edited by Edzzed; 10-30-2019 at 08:48 AM.

All good suggestions so far. Reminds me I have to install that fuel pump diaphragm kit I bought this summer.

If it sat for years there is probably a pretty good chance you have a nasty buildup in the carb so Seafoam might be a good idea. I use Seafoam because I read on here years ago that it is a miracle cure. Not sure if it ever really helped but it sure makes a smokey nasty mess when you squirt it into the carb.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?