Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercury outboard blues

Re: Mercury outboard blues

all things mentioned...fuel line,plugs,fresh gas,carb clean-re-build,and def sea foam,if it was sitting for that long. If you do those things and still have an issue,look towards an electrical issue.Had a classic 50 do this,and ended up being the switch box.Was sending full voltage to cylinders 1 & 3,but intermittent on 2 & 4. Ran great,started great,idled up,throttled up then bogged,farted,bucked like fuel ,but was electric. Just did the seafoam on a 25 hp my son was given at his Marina job. Motor spent years in saltwater,never flushed. cleaned her up,and runs smooth. Good luck.
    Count your age by friends...not years. Count your life by smiles...and not tears.

Didja cure the problem, Tigrr?

Not yet I bought this project. Great 50 hp 4 stroke engine just needs a bit of work on the fiberglass. I have a marine mechanic coming by to look at the 9.9.
    Last edited by tigrr; 11-18-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

FWIW I only use 94 chevron or 91 shell if I’m going to park something for a while. Over a season or over the winter, etc.

No ethanol. That grain alcohol is the bane to rubber fuel lines. If I have to, I drain out as much as I can, put in the good fuel and run it for a minute to clear the lines. And then park it until I need it again.

That looks perfect for the lake. Hope you can get it all sorted in time for ice-out.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    FWIW I only use 94 chevron or 91 shell if I’m going to park something for a while. Over a season or over the winter, etc.

No ethanol. That grain alcohol is the bane to rubber fuel lines. If I have to, I drain out as much as I can, put in the good fuel and run it for a minute to clear the lines. And then park it until I need it again.
    Same here. Actually that's all I use in the small outboards, that ethanol is a real good deal for the small engine shops

It’s clogged jet in carb. Flat out best thing I’ve ever cleaned carb with is super clean degreaser . Take carb apart soak it in super clean for five minutes then stay out all holes and ports with brake clean . Reassemble and she will be good to go.
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Ethanol will wash the oil from the cylinder walls of a 2 stroke engines. 94 starts easier, too. That's important if you are pulling the rope.

I can tell you that it will last forever, take a poo kicking and always start with a couple pulls. I drove a beaver for an outfitter that used 9.9s on his client boats and they got left in the bush, froze and got sunk and you’d dump the water out of the cylinder, add some gas and they’d fire up. Year after year

That would be my choice Danny