Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late onset buck

Late onset buck

So, just the way life unfolds...

I hunted pheasant and fowl as a young man growing up in Delta. Lots of fond memories of sitting in the fields surrounding our hobby farm near Westham Island.

Move to Fort Mac in late twenties, kids, commitments, you know the drill. Bought myself a rifle, went hunting a few times, more an excuse to get out of the house with buddies than actual effective hunting. All good.

Move back to Lower Mainland in the late 80's, still busy with kids and such. Early fifties I detached a retina which bothered me for a couple of years. Sold my rifle thinking it would never be put to good use. So in 2012 my then 34 year old son says he wants to start hunting. FAC not good anymore, get my PAL and CORE. Hunt most every year with my son since, we put a couple of deer in the freezer. I deferred to him on the first and he slammed the truck door on me for the second (25 yards off the road as we were driving to our spot), little bastid...

He made a new acquaintance (let's call him P) through their son's spring hockey. P has a cabin on a lake and hunts. When they first met P says to my kid "You're wearing a Sako hat! This is Burnaby man, that's out of place..." Long story short, lots of bullsh!t ensued and plans were made to go fishing. After seeing the state of the somewhat finished electrical in the cabin my son graciously offered my services to help P out.

We went up last Sunday to do some hunting and for me to determine what he required for materials. It was unseasonably warm with lots of water still standing and running even up high from the wet spring and summer. Absolutely no reason for the deer to move too far from their beds as food and water was plentiful. Made it hard to apply strategies P had devised from patterning over the last 5 years. With a bad knee and some inner ear infection causing me to lose balance easily I was on the quad enjoying the warm weather and fantastic views when up high. Not much sign where I was, my son and P saw more as they walked the timber, but no opportunities were presented. P had a buck hanging from the drive up a couple days earlier, naturally we thought this to be a good omen, however bucks were not yet motivated enough to be out and about.

I mentioned poor balance, first day slip on a snow covered branch, down I go. Of course my rifle smacks the one good sized boulder. Thank you Winchester and Leupold (both Nechako Outdoors purchases) , all good when checking for zero and now the new rifle has some bush character.

P had to be back in Lower Mainland for a meeting on Friday morning so we were prepared to leave Thursday. I set up Wednesday at a spot we saw with good sign, where they had pushed for me a couple days prior, to no avail. Near sunset it was to the point where I wasn't confident seeing bone at the distance I was glassing so I got back in the truck and was making my way back down the hill. Twenty minutes before last legal shooting light a 2x2 was standing just off the road. Binos up, yup there's bone! Out of truck, jack a cartridge in chamber, move over the berm, yes he's still there. He gave himself up for me, thank you. Find myself a suitable walking stick and found him piled up 40 yards from the road. Cut the tag, back to the cabin for the young guys to help with retrieval. High fives all around and this old guy had his first buck, yes you read that right. 68 years old and graced with my first buck.

With about 25 days of hunting put in over 7 trips, my son is busy, I finally connected.

No as they lay pic, sorry about that. Certainly no trophy but I will take it as my first.

Tail cut was not pretty, saved it though, haha.
    Last edited by Knute; 10-29-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: inserting pic
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Late onset buck

Congrats on your first buck, hoping to get my first buck before my 45th birthday in a few weeks! Thanks for sharing your story!

Cheers,
    Josh
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Never too old, attago
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Great story thanks for posting it...

Here's a larger pic...

Way to go, congratulations! Thanks for sharing the story.

Awesome! Good going.

I was there and saw the aftermath with my own eyes. I may admit too, that I'm the lad that savagely slammed the door on his leg a couple years to make sure I dropped the last buck we brought home.

I'd like to add some color to how he came back to the cabin and let the scenario unfold because it was funny as hell.

So, we drove up Sunday morning and through until Wednesday we hunted HARD. Like 12 hours a day HARD, out at first light, home at twilight. Beat the crap out ourselves doing it but we were seeing game, just not deer. Saw moose, black bear (I have a tag), wild horses, porcupine, all manner of critters but to be honest in 5 days I personally did not see a single deer this year. To Knute's point, conditions just seemed too benign; water, green grass and warm temperatures - no reason for a deer to pile out their comfy honey hole to go walk through the open areas. Game seemed REALLY skittish this year too - everything busted it for the tree-line as soon as they knew we were in the area.

Fast forward to Wednesday night, I'd been out on the quad that evening and got back just as it was truly getting dark outside. Knute arrived about 20 minutes behind me and by then it's pitch black outside. Well, he walks in and underneath his hat and stuck to his forehead is this white thing with large triangular notches in it. The way it was cut, it looked just like a butterfly bandage. He mentioned the balance thing, and at the time I thought "oh, crap - maybe he fell again and dusted himself up".. hence why he's home late and hence this bandage on his forehead.

Well, P and I wander over to him as he's not saying a word... as we close in on him he lifts his hat off which releases the "bandage" to the floor - yep you guessed it, it was his cut tag which landed face up on the floor. Well, we instantly recognize it for what it is and you've never seen 3 grown men yell so loud! We were jumping up and down, big 3 way celebratory man-hug, high 5s all around and then it was time to grab the trailer and go retrieve his buck the hill side for him an in to the back of our trailer.

That night was a big celebration. 1 buck is enough for Knute and I to share so I knew I wasn't hunting the next day and we enjoyed a libation or two and BS'd late in to the evening.

Good times and here's to Knute!

Loved the story!

Awesome story to read thanks for posting it.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Thanks for the kind words folks, and thanks for enlarging the pic for me Roots.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.