Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phase of the moon and the rut

phase of the moon and the rut

What are your thoughts on hunting the rut and the full moon? Better comming up to the full moon or after?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: phase of the moon and the rut

Quote Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
    What are your thoughts on hunting the rut and the full moon? Better comming up to the full moon or after?
    Has nothing to due with it. Steve R. Just did a episode on this very topic

Nothing, imo.

My anecdotal experience says a clear sky sky with a bright moon and snow on the ground gets the deer moving around the most... but nothing to do with the rut. Sunday night, had 2 bucks and 4 does bedded out front of my place... it was a new moon... but had nothing to do with the rut.

Lots of theory's out there in regards to moon phase and best hunting/fishing times, game movement, etc....

I have always done well on "full moon" hunts. Not sure why, but I seem to see more game moving. Others say animals move at night during full moon.

I think that the animals desire to breed and need to feed, water, and bed are the predominate factors as they have to do each, regardless of moon phase.

Along with full moon, Ive also heard hunting pressure causes game to go nocturnal. Not sure I agree with this as much as it forces game to change their patterns. Being human, we are ceatures of habit and are reluctant change when something has worked in the past.

I think that most animals survival instincts are far better than the average human hunting skills
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-29-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Why are you guys hunting when the moon is out? That time is usually outside of the open shooting times.

I guess you can still hunt as long as you don't shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Why are you guys hunting when the moon is out? That time is usually outside of the open shooting times.

I guess you can still hunt as long as you don't shoot.
    Pretty sure the discussion is about full moon "phase"
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-29-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Oh, well everyone needs to stay home on full moon phase days. I'll go out and will report back. You guys rest.

Rut is seasonal based on the amount of daylight, nothing to do with the moon. Fawns are dropped the same time every spring. Night conditions can affect how much of the rut you see in an area though. Which gives people the idea that the rut is based on the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Rut is seasonal based on the amount of daylight, nothing to do with the moon. Fawns are dropped the same time every spring. Night conditions can affect how much of the rut you see in an area though. Which gives people the idea that the rut is based on the moon.
    yep. Photoperiod. Plain and simple.