Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Havent seen a single WT buck

Re: Havent seen a single WT buck

Saw many WT south of Vanderhoof close to farming areas.
    In over 50 years of hunting in 5-03 & surrounding areas the only deer I ever saw for sure was a mule. Only once LT thought we spooked a WT group including bucks north of Ward Creek(near Gang). They were very fast & at least 100 m. away on top of a clear cut gully. Didn't have a tag-also we don't shoot at running animals unless wounded.

While moose hunting north of Germansen(7-38 ) a WT buck ran in front of us in a large clearcut that was being chased by a black bear. Have it on a video somewhere.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

[QUOTE=mpotzold;2127293]Saw many WT south of Vanderhoof close to farming areas.
    In over 50 years of hunting in 5-03 & surrounding areas the only deer I ever saw for sure was a mule. Only once LT thought we spooked a WT group including bucks north of Ward Creek(near Gang).

I’ve got a couple whitetail bucks near there (5-03) in the last five years. We didn’t see any this year.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    I've been successful for WT over the last 10 years in Reg 3. Bucks and does every year. I really have to say that I see very few and shoot the first buck I see. It's not like some Yankee bowhunting shows where they pass up bucks all day long. "He's not what I am looking for!". Here I see one and I shoot one. I know guys that pass on them here and shoot one as the season winds down but my experience is very few sightings in general.
    Yeah I do the same. I’ve seen 30 but only had two give me the good shot I wanted. I get my two most years but have yet to get anything bigger than small 4x4. Last year I had a shot at a tank running full out.. missed by a mile. I generally don’t shoot at running deer but he was worth the attempt.

I've been successful for WT over the last 10 years in Reg 3. Bucks and does every year. I really have to say that I see very few and shoot the first buck I see. It's not like some Yankee bowhunting shows where they pass up bucks all day long. "He's not what I am looking for!". Here I see one and I shoot one. I know guys that pass on them here and shoot one as the season winds down but my experience is very few sightings in general.
    right?
    from Golden down to Cranbrook... we saw lots of WT everywhere we looked. Over here... not so much.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

I'm in 8 but travel to 3 later in the season connecting with 7 Whitey bucks the past 9 years all within a 10 km radius. They are there every year as stated cant be picky . See a fair share of does but dont shoot does.

I always seem to find this time of year the whitetail bucks seem to make themselves scarce, pre-rut, not sure what they are doing.... but I have bagged most whitetails nov 15-30. Then I just try to find scrapes and set up near them or along the suspected travel routes, downwind of course. Dont get discouraged by no sightings, if your in a proven whitetail area.

About 10 years or so ago shared a camping area near Ward Creek(5-03) with a couple hunters. One was a cook by profession. He got his limit of WT in Region 8 & was now hunting for mule deer.
    They also never saw WT in REGION 5 or 3.
    He gave us some WT sausages that he prepared & it was something to die for. He was a German from Russia.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Seen my first whitetail buck just south of merrit while still hunting (thanks for the tips HBCers, never would have happened without you) last Friday. After 7 years of hunting, (my stomping grounds are around Little Fart) including my grandpa's property, (first time hunting his property walked into his lower field and spooked about fifteen WT does and bambi's 50 feet away)I had NOT up until now laid eyes on (while hunting) a WT buck. He spotted me first and turned quickly into white lightning. I'm going to go out in early November. bringing the 12g and some buckshot this time
    Last edited by fourbyfourtoy; 10-27-2019 at 08:15 PM.

I was in 3-12 this past week on east side of Douglas Lake Rd. Found a couple of whitetail does. There was also a few rubs in the area. They are there for sure.

I don't think their numbers are quite as high in reg 3 as they were a few years ago, but they are there, I've seen some this year in reg 3 and, I haven't had cams out that way this year..as others have said, that is the best way to get an idea of their numbers in an area..