Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Baiting ungulates clarification required

Re: Baiting ungulates clarification required

Quote Originally Posted by Muliechaser View Post
    If you use bait for deer . And it happens to attract a bear m thats not illegal . "Hunting a bear over bait is" .
    That being said even if you have a bear come to your bait site and have no intentions of attracting said bear hunting that bear or killing that bear . You are 100% legal .

Although the bear may be come a nusiance and come and go or stay constantly and you may have to move on . Bait away bruce44!

Mc
    Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    Also, does leaving a gut pile out, then shooting a wolf that was attracted to it considered baiting it? So many gray areas.
    I would say . YES .leaving a gut pile and knowingly shooting anything attracted to it is considered baiting . If it is a non baitable animal ie predators . Then yes it is illegal . .. look up the wildlife act spend some time going thru it as there is alot to soak in . It tells you everything .

Mc
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Keep in mind . If something is not mentioned in the wildlife act . It is "usually"LEGAL. For example . Hunting grouse using rocks ,slingshot, or airgun is 100% legal . But again the regs do not mention this i beleive . But the wildlife act does mention that if you are using an airgun even if below the federal limit of 500fps it is considered a firearm when being used to hunt wildlife if applicable .

If you ever misunderstand or just doesnt make sence to you a email or phone call to a CO will always clarify any of your questions . Some things can be confusing in the way they word things

Mc
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Isn't it unlawful to feed any wildlife?

I don’t know about that one. I could be wrong but I thought that if you know/are aware there is bait and shoot an animal or it you be found to be guilty of baiting when it comes to bears. You shoot a bear over bait that isn’t “intended” for bear, how would you prove your intent wasn’t to bait a bear when you are over a bait pile? A bear will eat anything. If you are baiting deer, just hunt bear elsewhere.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by Muliechaser View Post
    Keep in mind . If something is not mentioned in the wildlife act . It is "usually"LEGAL. For example . Hunting grouse using rocks ,slingshot, or airgun is 100% legal . But again the regs do not mention this i beleive . But the wildlife act does mention that if you are using an airgun even if below the federal limit of 500fps it is considered a firearm when being used to hunt wildlife if applicable .

If you ever misunderstand or just doesnt make sence to you a email or phone call to a CO will always clarify any of your questions . Some things can be confusing in the way they word things

Mc
    Yes, but to clarify..."using an airgun" an airgun rifle is legal, an airgun pistol is not.

Also, does leaving a gut pile out, then shooting a wolf that was attracted to it considered baiting it? So many gray areas.
    Completely legal to shoot a wolf over bait. Not legal for bear.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

it’s legal to bait wolves

I asked a CO in Williams lake about shooting a bear over a kill...He said after a long discussion that if you knowingly new there was a kill and you hunted it then you were guilty of hunting over bait ...If you seen the bear from a distance and shot it then discovered it was on a kill then you didn"t knowingly know so it was ok...Dennis

The reason I asked the CO was because I was hunting up in 7-18 for grizzly and seen a dead moose on the side of the road ...This was a spring Grizzly hunt..The guide in the area also told me about the kill and not to shoot a grizzly near it cause it was a sow with cubs ...It could of been a dicey situation if I would of killed her and she was alone at the kill ...On my way home I stopped in and had a long discussion with the CO just to ease my anxiety about the situation ..So when in doubt ask a CO ...Its their job to inform you if you ask...Don't assume nothing ....As for the apples ...same thing applies ...You new there was bait there so if a bear came in you are obliged to turn down the bear as its over bait and you new about the bait...Dennis