Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baiting ungulates clarification required

Baiting ungulates clarification required

Hi everyone. I read the regulations and it says it is illegal to bait for bears and I've seen a couple posts here with oats as bait. Is it illegal to bait for the PURPOSE of hunting bears, or is it illegal to bait with anything that attracts bears? If I leave apples for the PURPOSE of hunting deer but a bear comes along, am I committing an offense? I've never used bait before so I'd like to get some clarification of the law.
    Please, I understand that there's many differing opinions about baiting, but I'm here just for legalities.
    Last edited by bruce44; 10-27-2019 at 04:53 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Baiting ungulates clarification required

I can tell you this I would not want to be explaining to a CO” sir I know you are not allowed to bait bears in BC but that bait pile I shot the bear over is for deer”. Put yourself in the COs boots in that conversation and remember guilty people lie to him all the time

My opinion I would not shoot a bear over a deer bait but if you want to know the best answer to your question call/email the CO in the area and see what they say

I think you can put out salt/mineral blocks legally, right?

Keep yourself out of any “grey areas” in the regs and you’ll be fine. As Wildone said, good luck trying to explain yourself out of a predicament.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    No issue......
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Read the regs people. No on salt blocks or mineral blocks for bear hunting.
    Bait - means anything, including meat, cereals, cultivated crops, restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as described under these regulations.
    I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody alike.

I don't want to hunt bear. I just wasn't sure if baiting a bear was classified by the bait you used or the purpose in which you use it for. For the longest time I thought you couldn't use bait that could attract bears period.
    That's why I asked if it's the purpose that's illegal, not the kind of bait itself.

Quote Originally Posted by moosecamp View Post
    Read the regs people. No on salt blocks or mineral blocks for bear hunting.
    Bait - means anything, including meat, cereals, cultivated crops, restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as described under these regulations.
    "Means anything" ... that may attract wildlife . .

Pretty cut and dry .

Mc
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Also, does leaving a gut pile out, then shooting a wolf that was attracted to it considered baiting it? So many gray areas.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    I don't want to hunt bear. I just wasn't sure if baiting a bear was classified by the bait you used or the purpose in which you use it for. For the longest time I thought you couldn't use bait that could attract bears period.
    That's why I asked if it's the purpose that's illegal, not the kind of bait itself.
    If you use bait for deer . And it happens to attract a bear m thats not illegal . "Hunting a bear over bait is" .
    That being said even if you have a bear come to your bait site and have no intentions of attracting said bear hunting that bear or killing that bear . You are 100% legal .

Although the bear may be come a nusiance and come and go or stay constantly and you may have to move on . Bait away bruce44!

Mc
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”