Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Baiting ungulates clarification required

Re: Baiting ungulates clarification required

Since this topic is open...
    clearly it’s illegal to hunt a bear over a gut pile.

is it also illegal to hunt a bear over its own kill?

is it illegal to hunt a bear that is in the vicinity of say free ranging cow calves?

is it illegal to hunt a bear over a known patch of berries?

im interested to know where the line is drawn.

over its own kill is one i would like to know too , does that included cougars and wolfs as well ? . placing apples for deer , well . if you attract a bear pull the bait and move , wait till he moves on.. Berries is fine thats a natural food source , like grass or roots . if its stalking calfs , i would say there wouldnt be a problem removing the bear , The good thing about black bear hunting in BC Is you dont need bait . there everywhere !
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    Hi everyone. I read the regulations and it says it is illegal to bait for bears and I've seen a couple posts here with oats as bait. Is it illegal to bait for the PURPOSE of hunting bears, or is it illegal to bait with anything that attracts bears? If I leave apples for the PURPOSE of hunting deer but a bear comes along, am I committing an offense? I've never used bait before so I'd like to get some clarification of the law.
    Please, I understand that there's many differing opinions about baiting, but I'm here just for legalities.
    You can bait for deer legally. Do not shoot a bear at or near your bait if one comes around, period.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    I don't want to hunt bear. I just wasn't sure if baiting a bear was classified by the bait you used or the purpose in which you use it for. For the longest time I thought you couldn't use bait that could attract bears period.
    That's why I asked if it's the purpose that's illegal, not the kind of bait itself.
    Easy, don't shoot a bear that comes to your bait pile! You will not find a deer there if a bear frequents your bait! I have been putting salt out for ungulates for years, and yes i do get bears coming in to it as well, but it is for the moose and deer! Don't need to bait bears in BC anyways, they are like mosquitos, everywhere!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Baiting ANY wildlife should be illegal all these bait piles for deer are B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    Personal opinion .
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    Road hunting should be illegal, shooting within 50yards of any road too, ATVs, shooting beyond 100yards with a rifle, camouflage, crossbows, semiautomatics, and I could add more

All of these things are lazy and unethical