Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Goat Hunt-Redemption Billy

Re: 2019 Goat Hunt-Redemption Billy

Nice work buddy. Guess you'll be on porter duties for our trip in February huh?

Ahhhh….to be "young again".
    Congrats and thanks for sharing.
    Love seeing photos from the top of high peaks like that....brings back memories.

FYI, burn these hunts in you mind!!!!
    Eventually time catches up too the body, and nothing F's you harder then time!!
    Enjoy it, get out as much as you can, and keep going for it!
    Congrats.

Enjoyed your write up. Hard to beat goat hunting. Great to see you out with your Dad, Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I might have to start applying to some of those 0.5:1 reg4 LEHs instead.

I get 6.5 as well.
    One of the compulsory inspectors here on the island was showing me how there's usually a lump in the top part of the horn indicating the 1st year and that the 1st ring (ie right where his thumb is) indicates the 2nd year... Thus 7. I'm certainly not the expert which is why I asked your guys' opinion. Tell me if the advice I got is off-base.

Thanks!
    TJ

Great stuff!! Congratulations on a great billy, I see him as 6.5 years old as well, wicked!! And to have your dad along for the trip, makes it even better!!

I didnt luck out with a goat leh this year, but my lady did, we’r planning on a few days in February, she says she’s not as picky as me lol, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberjack View Post
    One of the compulsory inspectors here on the island was showing me how there's usually a lump in the top part of the horn indicating the 1st year and that the 1st ring (ie right where his thumb is) indicates the 2nd year... Thus 7. I'm certainly not the expert which is why I asked your guys' opinion. Tell me if the advice I got is off-base.

Thanks!
    TJ

6.5 is what I get and have always counted it that way.
    First for me to hear about the "bulge" as being a part of the age, thus making it 7, imo.

Great Read.
    Thanks for posting.
    Looking forward to catching up some time soon.
    Very cool to be able to do that with your Father, an inspiration indeed.

great stuff, thanks for posting
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by JSaw View Post
    Nice work buddy. Guess you'll be on porter duties for our trip in February huh?
    Looks that way! I’ve been practicing packing other peoples stuff lately it seems.

So typically that first winter doesn’t form an annuli, actually never seen it form one cuz the horn doesn’t slow it’s growth as much as in the subsequent years. Sometimes the 2nd winter will form a bulge or less defined annuli but usually it’s a clear ring (like where my thumb is).

To age goats either count the visible rings and add one for the first winter OR count like Warn and count the visible plus the base. I can take it if someone thinks I’m out to lunch.
    Last edited by Kopper; 10-25-2019 at 04:04 PM.