Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly In Hunt Etiquette

Fly In Hunt Etiquette

Looking to start a conversation about etiquette for fly in hunts to avoid interfering with other hunters. This comes after we had a near miss this fall.

We had flown from one location, and our homework confirmed one other party was going to be on the same lake, coming in with a different airline, but likely at the other end. Big enough lake to share, so we went for it. On Day 4 of our hunt a plane overflew our camp several times, then landed about 2 km away. Not great having neighbours but OK. The plane took off, circled a few times, then landed right at our beach....and when we said "Hello, can we help you" (move somewhere else...) the pilot said she was putting them off here even though they knew they were 100 yards from our camp. Apparently they didn't like the other camp spot and something happened in the plane that they couldn't go somewhere else. The pilot was pretty pissed.

So, some tension existed as we explained we had four rifles in the area, it was full, and can they find another spot? They had another plane coming just behind them for a total of four hunters. They had flown in with a different airline.... So, after some thinking, asking about other lakes, it was apparent they had not thought about this situation and didnt' really have other options cased. I happened to know of a camp spot further down the lake and we offered to help shuttle them there. It would make things a little busy but we could probably work around each other. So they agreed to move (thanks!!)

The next day, my buddy is on his stand just after first light. They had seen his canoe there the day before when flying around (they said they had seen it). He is watching a bull a little way off and hears cow calls off in the bush. Funny cow calls.... So he realizes he has to establish dominance and lets out his best cow call. The bull responds and starts coming at him. And so does the "cow" in the bushes. He sees the two hunters and signals for them to beat it. They keep coming. He signals again, as the bull is still coming from the other direction. They are still coming so when the bull gets into range he shoots it. The hunters approach him and are pissed he took their moose because they had been there since before first light. He says "I've been here three days...".

A couple days later we heard some shots in their area and we later saw a gut pile so we think they got a moose and then headed home.

We had an epic hunt; good moose, great scenery, great dudes. But, we were pretty pissed they almost spoiled a hunt for us, and also for them. So here's my proposed fly in hunt etiquette:

1. Try to get your pilot to confirm no other groups are booked in the lake. A couple of them will call other pilots to coordinate. That is how it used to work in areas of overlap. Hunters should encourage that.
    2. Be prepared that someone is there first.
    3. Have a plan B, and a Plan C. and a Plan D. Have maps, know the campsites, etc
    4. Before you land, scout for camps. If there is a camp, go somewhere else. Even your second choice hunt alone will be better empty than your first choice that has company.
    5. Do not camp within 5 km of another known camp. Give the other hunters enough room to spread out.

There are still lots of lakes that don't see other hunters. We hunted a place in 2018 that hadn't been hunted in 20 years to our knowledge (hidden in plain sight)
    and we took two very large moose. So while some spots are crowded, take the extra time and effort to find those other spots. Hunting will be better.

Feedback or suggestions are welcome!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fly In Hunt Etiquette

I’ve never been on a fly-in hunt, but your thoughts sound very reasonable.

Hmmm very well thought out possible solutions to ongoing issue.
    pilots make 90 % of their monies august to mid oct..
    They dont mind stacking if you dont protest.
    Yes ask about other crews..yes remember that there are other planes flying..and you WILL get lied to..often .
    Going to plan b..c., d is always better than numerous groups on a small lake especially small narrow lakes.
    Remember too some group may have just left that lake after 10 days of blasting everything around.
    You were able to work it out..sometimes that doesnt work..at all.
    My last flight we got lied to, pilot we were flying with flew 6 guys into our booked lake..then pleaded ignorance on how they got there..but knew they already had 3 bull moose..hmmmmmmm
    We flew 5 kms away..and had a wonderful hunt 2 x 60 inch..59 inch bulls..big bodies..lots of wolf shooting.however close enough that when out taking a 3:15 am piss I heard numerous rifle shots..from the direction of the 6 hunters at our first choice lake..Tim Terrance and I were wondering. .drinking..or grizzlies..later found out grizzlies took better part of 2 moose..and even with shots wouldnt take no for a answer..they were 5kms as the crow flies from us.
    5 kms is reasonable distance.
    These fly in hunts are not cheap..and should relieve stress not add to it
    Do your homework as has been suggested..have numerous alternative close by lakes, bring a small inflatable boat..2hp motor sufficient fuel..
    If another company already has folks there first..go elsewhere..its not the pilots job to enquire about every lake and competitors..you do your due diligence..phone and ask if they have booked flight into xyz lk for sept 26 ? If so..go to plan b.
    Very well thought out post on this common issue..had far more of these than clear sailing hunts.
    However only 3 times did we change or location..when we did. .we had the flight company call our wives with the update.also the SPOT check in nightly showed us at a different lake..not what we planned but where we were.
    Cheers
    srupp

Was a busy spot for sure this year. Was great meeting you up there and was good to meet after both our groups had essentially tagged out on moose. We had a great spot way down the lake and enjoyed a great camping spot and killing 2 moose right at camp kinda made it nice!

Sure seemed more like an airport there over a 3-5 day period than it was a lake. By far the busiest I've ever seen a northern hunt. We did get lucky in the fact that we only saw 1 other human the entire time we were up there in our group of 4. Just a ton of planes flying in and out and the understanding that several groups were coming and going it seemed like lol.

You bring up some great points and well worth considering for people. It sure becomes tough when multiple pilots are all involved and groups coming and going at different times. Can make it very hard to plan ahead and even Plan B, C, and D can have other groups fly in mid week or during, etc.

Main thing a guy has to do more than anything is be respectful of people at lakes and enjoy the hunting where you can. So much of the rest of it is out of control with so many people flying into various lakes.
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 10-22-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Privot pilots x2 were going to fly into this international airport..one at least flew into a very close by lake and got an amazing bull..and passed on a couple of squeeker caribou .
    some very level headed..type B personalities made this situation work out.
    Personally very surprised., however it also didnt hurt to have plenty of moose , during peak rut, and everyone got moose.
    and no hunters were harmed in the making of another moose hunt.
    Some really good guys all round
    Hats off to all
    Srupp

When I booked my lake I was told know one else from from the company I booked with would fly people in their not before me or after me. Bill the owner of B.C.Yukon Air said "Why would I wreck your once in lifetime hunt or anyone else's".This was held true for me.This also was a topic of discussion While waiting for my plane flight other people said they have never been screwed by having other people on their booked lakes. I guess if you pick a lake close to some other company flight distance you may have other people on it.

We didn’t have the best experience with BC YUKON either. Can’t remember the Kiwi pilots name but she was friendly enough. Prices are up up up and customer service is going down like a beaver with a live buffalo strapped to each pontoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    We didn’t have the best experience with BC YUKON either. Can’t remember the Kiwi pilots name but she was friendly enough. Prices are up up up and customer service is going down like a beaver with a live buffalo strapped to each pontoon.
    Her name is McKenzie. I don't agree with you as I felt customer service was very good. Weather conditions were very challenging this year and IMO BC Yukon did the best they could. I have never seen prices go down either...operatiing cost (fuel etc) continues to climb.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Minimum flight distances have nothing to do with fuel costs. If the lake is 15 miles away, you got charged 60 miles one year, then 80 miles the next. I’m guessing next year is 100 miles minimum. $1000 plus tax to go 15 miles each way.

I know I know. If you don’t like it then go somewhere else. I plan to

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    Minimum flight distances have nothing to do with fuel costs. If the lake is 15 miles away, you got charged 60 miles one year, then 80 miles the next. I’m guessing next year is 100 miles minimum. $1000 plus tax to go 15 miles each way.

I know I know. If you don’t like it then go somewhere else. I plan to
    No....hopefully you talked to Billy about the discrepancy. I am not sure how they work their prices but yes Minimums continue to go up. Again, talk to Billy and see how he explains it. Or go elsewhere as you suggest.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience