Thread: 2019 MD Buck

2019 MD Buck

Haven't seen too many Mule deer stories up lately so I'll post mine from this weekend.

It's been a pretty slow start to my season, started off with a nice black bear sow in the spring. Set out a few fancy trail cams and on my way in to check connected with the bear. Fast forward a few months to Oct 20, my son (youth hunter) was lucky enough to pull an LEH mule doe tag in region 8-22. He's had this tag a few years in a row as it's excellent odds (1.8 to 1, and last year was 0.9 to 1). We filled his tag last year in 45 minutes and with high expectations, we set off at 6am from the house. Heading into the known spot that holds does, we started driving in slowly as we were approaching the clear cuts. Came around the corner and saw a solo deer wandering down the main road. Look to my right and the kid is SLEEPING! gave him a quick poke and say "go get your deer!" and he fumbles out of the truck. Deer knowing that somethings up starts picking up the pace and I get the binos out to keep an eye on it. It stopped, turn it's head and I saw antlers, wait a second, I haven't filled my buck tag yet, "Hey it's a buck! that's mine!" I whispered as bucks are far fewer, and he's got 10 more days to find his easy doe. "go for it he says and passes me the rifle". By this time the deer sprints around the corner out of sight, and I go chasing after it. Son brings up the truck to catch up to me and when he rolls up I'd lost sight of the deer. He rolls down the window and says "Dad, he's right there!". Kids got eyes of an eagle and sure enough it's on the top of the hill about to head into thick bush. Trying to line up a freehand shot after running a few hundred yards proved difficult and I watched him walk over the ridge. Knowing the clearing was only another 2-300 yards down the road I made another dash down the road, and met the deer just coming into the cut. Took a nice steady shot from the mountain rifle and down he went. Nice 2x2 with some extra funk around the eye guards and some early signs of being a 4x3 next year. Immediately called back to the kid on the phone and he'd heard the shot and I said "BUCK DOWN!" bring the truck.
    Here's the pics and thanks for reading. Put the kid behind him for size perspective. Love these father/son hunting trips.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2019 MD Buck

Nice one !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Nothing I like seeing more than youth success ! memories like these recruit life long hunters, I only wish I was able to start hunting as a child and not at 27 years old.

nice meat and enjoy the mystery junk lol on the rack good for you.

some people would call that a legal 4 point..not me congrats.

Way to go , good luck on getting your son his doe too!

This will be a tasty one. Very nice outing.

Do you think this is the first year of antlers or his second? Seems like a lot for its first year unless it came from good gene stock.