Thread: Seasons open in some regions. Closed in others, for same species / sex

Seasons open in some regions. Closed in others, for same species / sex

First of all this is not a complaint, I simply want a better understanding of why seasons close in some areas for something that is open in another.

Let's use Mule deer as an example.

Most of region 2 closes for any buck either Nov 30 or Dec 15. Region two is any buck all season.

Region 8 any buck is limited from Oct 1-30, I think 3 is like this also and likely others. While most of these regions are open for 4 points for some time in sept, nov, or both.

What can a hunter take away from this, it can't be a random date, there must be some science behind it.

Why have any buck open so long in R2? Are there just that many? Do they not grow old in region 2 so they don't bother with 4 point restrictions?

Why have seasons close on different dates, is it due to weather? Migration, Breeding. If so how?

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Seasons open in some regions. Closed in others, for same species / sex

Region 2 climate is different. There is no traditional "winter migration" like mule deer so leaving the season open longer doesnt really produce any more harvest. Some areas in region 5 are closed during the rut completely!

And no, there arent "just that many" .... they're just too difficult to hunt for most people.

90% of lower mainland hunters dont even hunt BT. They just drive straight out of region 2 to 3, 5, or 8 to get their mule deer instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugg View Post
    First of all this is not a complaint, I simply want a better understanding of why seasons close in some areas for something that is open in another.

Let's use Mule deer as an example.

Most of region 2 closes for any buck either Nov 30 or Dec 15. Region two is any buck all season.

Region 8 any buck is limited from Oct 1-30, I think 3 is like this also and likely others. While most of these regions are open for 4 points for some time in sept, nov, or both.

What can a hunter take away from this, it can't be a random date, there must be some science behind it.

Why have any buck open so long in R2? Are there just that many? Do they not grow old in region 2 so they don't bother with 4 point restrictions?

Why have seasons close on different dates, is it due to weather? Migration, Breeding. If so how?

Thanks!
    most important thing is to think migration routes. Looking at when seasons open and close actually helped me hone in on animals specific parts of the year. They close seasons earlier in and around wintering grounds and keep them open in areas that large numbers of animals don’t tend to stay that time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Region 2 climate is different. There is no traditional "winter migration" like mule deer so leaving the season open longer doesnt really produce any more harvest. Some areas in region 5 are closed during the rut completely!

And no, there arent "just that many" .... they're just too difficult to hunt for most people.

90% of lower mainland hunters dont even hunt BT. They just drive straight out of region 2 to 3, 5, or 8 to get their mule deer instead.
    exactly. Black tails are a harder hunt than mulies in tougher terrain and weather conditions. Much less pressure on them.

My understanding from some research is also that between their summer coat in September and wanting to protect their antlers because they are in velvet, mule deer tend to stay more in the open in September, therefore easier to find, so the season is set to 4points only. In October, they have changed their coats to the grey colour that blends in so well and their antlers are out of velvet, therefore they go into the timber and are harder to find, therefore season is any buck. Again in November, with the rut and bucks being stupid, they are easier to find, so the season is set to 4 points. This is just based on an article I found online last year. I don't actually know if there is any truth to it.

Post #2 is correct when it comes to region 2 simply put its BT management not MD

As for the other region’s population, biologists opinion of that population trend, migration and a number of other factors come into play

In most provinces/states they actually go more in-depth and break up management even more so. They will apply different management from MU to MU not regional blanket management. But they offend run multiple management goals vs one and have better tabs on their populations compared to B.C. as well

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    My understanding from some research is also that between their summer coat in September and wanting to protect their antlers because they are in velvet, mule deer tend to stay more in the open in September, therefore easier to find, so the season is set to 4points only. In October, they have changed their coats to the grey colour that blends in so well and their antlers are out of velvet, therefore they go into the timber and are harder to find, therefore season is any buck. Again in November, with the rut and bucks being stupid, they are easier to find, so the season is set to 4 points. This is just based on an article I found online last year. I don't actually know if there is any truth to it.
    Only the last part about the rut I agree with the rest not so much

September Bucks are in bachelor groups and young un educated bucks grow there first racks. The migratory part of the population is often located at higher elevation in mountain areas. Basically they are more predictable and uneducated. There is also less competition between bucks

October is a transition period where deer can be spread out across the seasonal range. Bucks have separated from the bachelor groups and start asserting dominance between eachother but not true combat. Food sources are often in transition changing week to week at times. This makes them way less predictable and spread out

ps blacktail not all but definatley migrate.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    ps blacktail not all but definatley migrate.
    yup they do

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

Exactly, it's blacktails in reg 1 and 2, and they are harder overall to hunt..