Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kamloops bc whitetail sightings

Re: Kamloops bc whitetail sightings

They are one of the most adaptable species on the planet, they will thrive in almost any habitat..

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Lol your absolutely right they are here. They are everywhere now. Their are no secret spots now and most aren’t willing to walk hours in the dark to get to my secret spots. I’m merely saying they are going to become a problem for our mule deer they need to be controlled. I don’t think a lot of hunters truly realize just how many of these deer are actually out there. They just hide now in response to the open doe season. I shoot my two whitetail every year 25 minutes from town all the while listening to road hunters drive by and throw beer cans out the window. If your any kind of whitetail hunter you have nothing to worry about trust me
    I think the two WT buck or doe limit in reg 3 is adequate..it is the most liberal season for whitetails in the province..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I think the two WT buck or doe limit in reg 3 is adequate..it is the most liberal season for whitetails in the province..
    I agree it’s very liberal and a great opportunity to put meat in the freezer. I had a few does run across the road in front of me yesterday on the goose lake road headed to Edith lake to try some fishing. Worth investigating

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    I agree it’s very liberal and a great opportunity to put meat in the freezer. I had a few does run across the road in front of me yesterday on the goose lake road headed to Edith lake to try some fishing. Worth investigating
    A buddy of mine spotted a good herd of whitetail around mount lolo today. All does and fawns. I’ve never hunted out that way but apparently it’s known to produce some good bucks,

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    They are one of the most adaptable species on the planet, they will thrive in almost any habitat..
    I agree and disagree and not picking at you personally

They will live in any habitat but there is definitely preferred habitat and habitat they flourish in well beyond others. The Mule deer is pretty adaptable as well but they also have a preference. What many seem to miss when it comes to these species they have habitat that they are truly adapted to but if there is a lack of competition in fringe habitat they will use it as well. Example MD dominated BC for many years because there was no competition in the fridge habitat. My opinion one of the reasons we are seeing WT in fringe habitat in B.C. is a decline in MD populations providing less competition as well

Every season we see posts from hunters who can’t find WT and often it’s they are looking in poor WT habitat. Yes like many other hunters I have seen them in crazy areas to but this does not mean they inhabit these areas in good numbers

Harry I know you have no issue finding your WT and you have some good WT populations in your area. But for those hunting WT in a good portion of B.C. with lower density populations WT are often in the prime WT habitat and almost non existent in the fridge habitat

Some of this post lead into extra rambling but in simple terms if B.C. hunters want to find WY focus on WT habitat because yes they can adapt to a range of habitat but they still have preferred habitat. With a lot of B.C. WT populations being relatively new they are more focused on preferred habitat

Sabiston creek is traditionally mule deer country,but whitetails are starting to show up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Sabiston creek is traditionally mule deer country,but whitetails are starting to show up there too.
    I agree with wild one. Just because you see whitetail in a area doesn’t necessarily mean that their is a huntable population. This year I had a whitetail doe run across the road in front of me at Saul lake. I highly doubt any whitetail could survive the amount of snow that country receives over the winter. I believe a lot of these deer are just passing through looking for acceptable habitats. I’ve hunted many places around Kamloops where I’ve seen one to five whitetail and never came across them again. It’s a crap shoot most times but every once in a while an area pans out.

Seen that meme about facebook hunters?

Pauly, you made a comment about too much snow in areas. I have to disagree. I have a cabin in a bit of a snow belt ( hwy 24 area). What we find is that mule deer migrate out in the winter but the whitetail seem to stay. I'm no expert but this is what I have seen in my area. It is not a whitetail hot spot by any means but they seem to do just fine here.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Pauly, you made a comment about too much snow in areas. I have to disagree. I have a cabin in a bit of a snow belt ( hwy 24 area). What we find is that mule deer migrate out in the winter but the whitetail seem to stay. I'm no expert but this is what I have seen in my area. It is not a whitetail hot spot by any means but they seem to do just fine here.
    Yes white tail yard up in deep snow. Around here we have lots of wolves .. easy pickings. But I don’t disagree with you at all. Just so many different factors in different areas. I guess that’s what makes it fun. If finding and hunting whitetail were easy I probably wouldn’t do it.