Thread: ‘Facilities’

‘Facilities’

So what do you guys use for ‘facilities’? ....with ladies coming along, creature comforts are in demand...toilets and shower. Sitting over a log or dumping a bucket of water over your head,jumping in an ice cold river might be fine for guys,but...this was brought to my attention when my 16 year old granddaughter asked me ‘ where is the bathroom? ‘ and I said,’pick a tree,any tree’...bless her heart,she came back lugging an old plywood ‘one holer’ toilet box she found in the bush ..easy enough to make. A shower with privacy is a bit more of a challenge.Years ago I bought a ‘pumper’ heat exchanger you put in the campfire ,never used it but it has possibilities to heat water for a shower( heating 5 gallons of water with propane is slow and expensive )
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 10-21-2019 at 07:28 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: ‘Facilities’

I have a 'blow up' shower stall and pack both a plastic 5 gal self contained solar bag
    and a porta-potti which can be used inside. The plastic solar shower bag can either
    be left out in the sun during the day to heat up, or I will heat a pail of water over the
    fire and fill the bag half with cold water and half with the hot water from the pail which
    gives plenty of water for 2 showers.

Well I would just say the worst part for them to go to the bathroom would be when it gets dark out so make sure you have lots of powerfull flashlights so they can check out the surrounding area to make sure no eyes are looking back at them. While they do there business.
    I've always just went in the bush to do my business no big deal at all for me. I find if you don't fart around with your hair just put a hat on everyday it really doesn't bother you to much. But in the past I have gone to a creek and washed my hair but that was in the spring.
    Just have some warm water in the morning for the ladies with a bowl and a wash cloth and towel and leave the camper so they can get dressed and clean themselves if they want.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Our tradition is at the end of the camp for the guys to strip naked and on the count of 3 run into the ice cold river...not for the faint hearted,but not the sort of thing you invite your 16 year old granddaughter to join in....

I have a slick shower setup that is super light. I run the zodi shower pump ( pump only not the kit) that runs on d cell batteries. I bring along a small 2 gallon pot and a single burner propane stove that runs on a small bottle. Just tie or strap the the shower pump to a tree and and run the pump directly out of the pot. Slick and weighs nothing. Brought this setup on a fly in sheep hunt and left it at base camp. Nothing beats a hot shower. Also to note we used a single one pound propane bottle and 3 guys showered twice and we cooked at least 5 feeds of lake trout on the bottle with propane left over.the entire set up fits in the pot.
    On a truck camp hunt I will bring a privacy tent.

For outhouse we dig an old fashioned pit.

Toilet: 5 gal pail with the bottom cut out and a plywood seat made..shower: a lake if it's warm enough