Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ewe Sheep Hunt

Ewe Sheep Hunt

I'm super excited to go on my first ever sheep hunt! Draw is for Kamloops Lake 3-29 Zone A. Ever since I found out that I received this draw, I've been pouring over information online, and also have watched a pile of videos pertaining to the Kamloops Lake sheep, but none of them are very specific to what zone they are from. A lot of the information and old threads that I've researched seem to be dated as well.

Looking at the map in the LEH synopsis leaves a lot to be desired. Does anyone know where I could find a decent map of the area. My main concern is that I want to know with 100% certainty to be hunting in an area where I will not be trespassing on private property. Secondly, I might want to find a place to camp nearby as well. Depends, I might just stay in a hotel for a couple days. The thing is that I've heard so many things from so many different people about this area that I'm not sure what to expect. Some people have told me that this could be a two hour hunt or a weekend hunt, basically telling me that it should be relatively "easy".

Having said all that, I would like to be as informed as I possibly can, by people that have first hand knowledge hunting this area, or perhaps from someone who has previously drawn this tag. This could be a once in a lifetime draw opportunity, and I would really like to capitalize on it, as well as have some nice mutton to eat.

Also, I can't help but notice how close some people seem to be getting while they are videoing and photographing these magnificent animals. Got me thinking that perhaps I could do this hunt with a crossbow. I think that I'll probably bring both, crossbow and rifle just to be safe. Once again, I just don't know what to expect hunting for these sheep. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any and all info!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ewe Sheep Hunt

As easy as following the info in the leh package
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...ion-3-thompson

Add a visit to the area and your questions should be answered

Good luck out there Shoot a big one
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Download iHunterBC, get the crownland, turn on sheep LEH zones, save map for "off-line use". Good to go!
    Backcountry Hunters and Anglers BC

Thanks for the link boxhitch! I hope to shoot a big one. Draw is for ewe or lamb, but I prefer to find a big solo ewe.

Go to the mill in Savona and glass across the lake from there. You should see lots of sheep within a km of the western end. Went there one year looking for deer and all I saw was rams chasing and looking for ewes. Definitely a good chance of getting close with crossbow.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Jordan f., thanks for the recommendation on the iHunter BC app. I've never used this yet, but will definitely look into it.

bighornbob, thanks for the tip on where to start glassing from. Sounds like a great idea, find out general area and then try to put a stalk on. I'm super excited about the possibility of getting the sheep with my crossbow.
    Last edited by last light; 10-20-2019 at 11:03 PM.

I had the draw in 2014 and i shared the same excitement leading up to the hunt - i figured i would have some awesome sheep meat from this hunt.
    I left Abbotsford and got to Savona at first light and i was home in Abbotsford at 1pm with my ewe.
    As you are what you eat, living and eating in the sage brush provided me with an animal which smelled like Sage Brush and urine. I took the nice cuts out of it and had to marinade heavily to hide the flavor and the rest went to Chorizo sausage, the meat was not good. Even the local CO commented the Ewe's were stronger than the Rams in smell that year(?)
    There is good road access into the whole area in Zone A, and my first step was to go and take a look around first before trying to glass it out.
    The sheep were in the second location i wanted to see, there was 4 ewes with a beauty ram - it was hard to remember to concentrate on the ewes but they stood for me with no care in the world. a 200yd shot with the 7-08 and done at 7:32am. Remember they don't get hunted so they're not pushed - half the time they're even standing along the side of the highway.
    Word of caution - make sure you can identify a Ewe from a Banana Ram as they can look very similar when the rams are a year or 2 old. i was on mine 4 times before i pulled on it.

Good luck and have fun.

Something to consider: It is worth the time and effort to skin a ewe for a life sized mount. A few years ago, a properly permitted ewe was worth about $1500 from some taxidermists doing panoramic group mounts. Doesn't hurt to phone around to see what the market is.

A taxidermist in Vernon was interested in my full body cape but it was about $350 he was offering.

It bought me a Henry 22 lever action.

I'd at least get a shoulder mount done. Then when you get a ram (if you haven't already) have a mom/pop pair