Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Lite vs Sitka vs Arcteryx

Re: First Lite vs Sitka vs Arcteryx

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    I bought coyote pant and a green jacket. Oddly enough the best price I found online for the pants was a company in Spain with free international shipping. Yes it has a hood.
    How big are you and what sizes did you order? I think I’m definitely a large jacket, but I’ve only found med/XL so far. I’ll keep looking...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I have a fair amount of Arc'teryx stuff but my go-to rain jacket is the Kuiu Yukon. Quieter and way more comfortable than gore-tex. So comfortable I wear it as an outer layer on days where I'm not expecting rain.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I can comment on this as I just went through this.

After 4 years my Kuiu Yukon jacket was falling apart. I hadn't noticed how bad it was getting until organizing my gear for a September stone sheep hunt. I emailed Kuiu and they agreed to replace it under warranty, but couldn't guarantee it would get there in time. I decided to buy a couple other jackets in case it didn't arrive on time. I bought a Sitka cloudburst and when it came I was very disappointed in the fit. It had what I would call the opposite of an athletic fit... whatever that is. Loose through the torso but oddly really tight around the waist. The quality was decent enough, but the fit is just weird. I tried a sotrmfront on and found the same issue.

Decided to go buy a new Arcteryx zeta AR. I was really impressed by this jacket, much softer and quiter than Goretex proshell of old.

As it turns out the Kuiu waranteed jacket arrived the day before I left so I ended up returning the Sitka and Arcteryx, but I really wanted to keep that Arcteryx!

On a positive note for Kuiu, they did replace my Yukon and I can report they have definitely addressed all of the weak points on the original Yukon design that caused it to fail after only 4 years of occasional use.

Thanks for the info Ryan. The Zeta AR is what I had decided on from Arcteryx. It looks like the Zeta fits very long, which isn’t a bad thing. What size Zetadid you buy Ryan, and how tall/heavy are you?

I grabbed a Cabelas rain jacket on sale today just until I figure out what I for sure want, and I need to put aside some cash for my wife’s trip to Hawaii during the whitetail rut, so I have a stop-gap until I get something.

Arcteryx will be built better than all of those and likely last longest. Not the best for hunting if you need to stay quiet.

The Arcteryx Zeta is a bit quieter because it uses a different material, a c-knit backer which really is a bit quieter than regular arcteryx goretex

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    I can comment on this as I just went through this.

After 4 years my Kuiu Yukon jacket was falling apart. I hadn't noticed how bad it was getting until organizing my gear for a September stone sheep hunt. I emailed Kuiu and they agreed to replace it under warranty, but couldn't guarantee it would get there in time. I decided to buy a couple other jackets in case it didn't arrive on time. I bought a Sitka cloudburst and when it came I was very disappointed in the fit. It had what I would call the opposite of an athletic fit... whatever that is. Loose through the torso but oddly really tight around the waist. The quality was decent enough, but the fit is just weird. I tried a sotrmfront on and found the same issue.

Decided to go buy a new Arcteryx zeta AR. I was really impressed by this jacket, much softer and quiter than Goretex proshell of old.

As it turns out the Kuiu waranteed jacket arrived the day before I left so I ended up returning the Sitka and Arcteryx, but I really wanted to keep that Arcteryx!

On a positive note for Kuiu, they did replace my Yukon and I can report they have definitely addressed all of the weak points on the original Yukon design that caused it to fail after only 4 years of occasional use.
    They replaced a jacket that was falling apart from what sounds like wear and tear?????

Or was it actually defective? If so, what broke on it?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Arcteryx will be built better than all of those and likely last longest. Not the best for hunting if you need to stay quiet.

The Arcteryx Zeta is a bit quieter because it uses a different material, a c-knit backer which really is a bit quieter than regular arcteryx goretex
    Good to know, that is the only one I was interested in from Arcteryx.

I haven'y tried any others but I have the FL SEAK jacket and it is great. Easily the most breathable rain jacket I've ever worn.

The Kuiu Yukon is a solid Jacket!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    You going to sit out in a downpour for 3+ hours in hydrofleece? If so, I’ll check it out. Who makes affordable hydrofleece, and are there different names for it depending on manufacturer?

To be fair, I’M also past technology...
    Nothing will survive in downpour for 3+ hours including Goretex. I switched from Goretex to Hydrofleeece and found it to be more quiet, more warm and breathable with the same water resistance as Goretex.
    Original hydrofleece made by Browning. There are several other brands with different quality and price.
    People lie the most of all before elections, at the war and after hunting.