Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FN and extending the ATV ban around Elephant Hill

FN and extending the ATV ban around Elephant Hill

Well, it never stops does it.
    They cause the fire, and then "oh poor us" we can no longer sustain our hunting!
    Well, welcome to the frickin club!!!

Anyways, they want MORE ATV RESTRICTION to include Hat Cr Area:
    (fyi, I don't own atv's but thought the rest of you that do would want be informed)
    Again, this will not restrict FN, but NON FN Residents!

As I have said, the way it is going, we should propose ROADS TO BE TORN UP instead of Rules for one group but
    not the other.
    The FN can practice their Traditional Ways on FOOT then!

Link:

https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/cont...unting-closure
    Regional biologists acquired mule deer population demographic information during a 2019 aerial survey. Regional biologists classified over 2,000 deer. Buck: doe ratio within the Elephant Hill fire boundary were below the recommended Provincial target of 20 bucks per 100 does. Moose populations as determined through stratified random block surveys within adjacent units note a 15% population decline.The summer of 2017 represented one of the most extensive wildfire seasons in British Columbia’s history. The Elephant hill wildfire encompassed nearly 200,000 hectares. Fire suppression activities created access into regionally important mule deer and moose habitats that had previously been inaccessible by motor vehicles. Vulnerability of animals to harvest is expected to be high as they recolonize the burn prior to the establishment of adequate cover. Increasing hunting pressure within these MUs in consideration of increased access poses long-term wildlife management challenges such as maintaining population objectives.
    To address the concerns related to increased access and consequent wildlife vulnerability post wildfire, the Province enacted an ATV for Hunting closure within the borders of the Elephant Hill fire and adjacent Management Units. Adjacent MUs, and areas outside the fire perimeter, were included in the closure to mitigate concerns related to shifting ATV based hunting pressure (the “waterbed effect”).
    Indigenous communities in the vicinity of the Elephant Hill fire are concerned about increased ATV based hunting pressure within the Hat Creek watershed, an important location to exercise their Aboriginal Rights to hunt for sustenance and just outside the current ATV for Hunting prohibited area. There are concerns that the waterbed effect has resulted in increased ATV based hunting in the watershed and negatively impacting Indigenous Peoples access to wildlife for sustenance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: FN and extending the ATV ban around Elephant Hill

ATV bans are fine if they are applied equally to all.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Yes^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Yes^^^^^^^^^^
    I have no issues with it. I’d like to see a lot more restricted access any how.

I have no problem with it if FN follow the same rules but we all know that won’t happen
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Deactivate roads!!!
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I am not in favour of vehicle restrictions.
    Most buffoons riding on an atv or driving one of those pope mobiles never see the game anyways. I have hunted that area for the past 15 years hard. Really hard.

Folks in motor vehicles are not a problem. And I will say it again, neither are indians. Coyotes and wolves and cougars sure are.

the area is now a burned out wasteland and a logging disaster
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 12-16-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    I have no issues with it. I’d like to see a lot more restricted access any how.
    I have no issue with it either, in theory, BUT.
    It has to apply to everyone equally, that's rule #1.
    A "Sign" or a "quate" in the Hunting Regs or on a sign, DOES NOT, stop poachers and those that no longer have to follow the same rules.
    I would love to see a rule where quads "have to stay on the road" and no trail driving other then those that are allowed.

THE PART that IRKS me the most in this is the part where "FN want this"!! due to their "exercising their traditional right".

So, many a times folks have been asking for changes to "enhance and or protect wildlife" etc and nothing happens.
    BUT, the FN cant find game, so they can now restrict everyone else, BUT NOT THEMSELVES.

Funny, go thru the new Regulation proposals, and guess what you see?
    Proposals for Roads to be prohibited to drive on for hunting.
    BUT, it's only a sign/rule and wont stop poaching or those who no longer have to adhere to the same rules.
    And now we have to what???....adhere to their rules???
    Tear up the roads, problem solved for all.
    And if there is some form of industry running on that road, then just keep it open "for all".
    Y

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Yes I agree ! Not sure of all the details but I know that ATV ‘s were not traditional modes of transportation for hunting by by native peoples
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Was just about to post this ATV ban extension...

Here is a link to the detailed MAP: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sp...ment_final.pdf