Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Lite vs Sitka vs Arcteryx

First Lite vs Sitka vs Arcteryx

I’m looking for a new Gore Tex jacket. Anyone have experience with the First Lite Vapor? I’m looking at the 3 brands above, but would consider others if they are truly waterproof and not crazy expensive. Cause you know, the three I’ve listed are cheap as chips... I’d consider used as well if someone here has gone a different route or has an extra? I’m 5’10” 185 so large in most brands.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Lite vs Sitka vs Arcteryx

I'd stick with Arcteryx, FirstLite or Kuiu. My Sitka leaked all over and some have said the same thing. My phone and wallet were drenched.

Have Sitka Storm Front, and Arcteryx Leaf 2
    Sitka: Great in the rain so far, quiet,
    Arcteryx Leaf Superior in quality and rain, but not as quiet
    Where I walk, everything appears in grey...Loosen all hope, you who confronts me!

I have a FL vapor jacket and sitka dewpoint pants.

The vapor is a softer more supple fabric that wets out quick but also dries out quick, stays waterproof. The sitka is a little louder than the FL and beads up water longer and fabric has a bit of "crinkle" to it. Both work great and I am happy with them for lightweight backpacking shells.

If I were to get an all round shell (not just for backpacking) then I would go with arcteryx or westcomb (a Canadian company out of Vancouver).

I get 50% off Pro deals at Arcteryx, but not on LEAF stuff. I’m considering one of their Zeta AR jackets in “Bushwack” green, which is a passable color for hunting. I want something I can use for waterfowl here on the coast too, so maybe the Zeta is a good choice as it’s more of a “real” Gore Tex? Bas3d on Jimbob saying the Vapor west out quick, that would suck on a day like Thursday of this week where it was seriously pissing down, but the ducks were also falling out of the sky...

I bought OR jacket and pants (outdoor research) for sheep hunt. They worked very well will buy more of this brand in future. I bought the foray jacket and pant lots of vents full gore suit that is packable

OR has been around for a long time. I’ve owned a few of their products over the years. Are they doing hunting specific stuff or did you just by green/brown stuff?

Just checked their ste. You got the Coyote color I assume? Looks good, but they show no stock for the Foray. The Gaurdian looks good too. Does your Foray have a hood? Do you recall cost? Source?
    Last edited by Redthies; 10-20-2019 at 08:44 AM.

I bought coyote pant and a green jacket. Oddly enough the best price I found online for the pants was a company in Spain with free international shipping. Yes it has a hood. Also won best ventilation award from gear lab product test. I would check moosejaw.com Or lasthunt.com or .ca can’t remember . I’ve been very happy with the stuff I think I bought the jacket for $150 and the pant for $125 can’t remember exactly

Goretex is the past technology.
    Hydro fleece is the better in all aspects.
    People lie the most of all before elections, at the war and after hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Goretex is the past technology.
    Hydro fleece is the better in all aspects.
    You going to sit out in a downpour for 3+ hours in hydrofleece? If so, I’ll check it out. Who makes affordable hydrofleece, and are there different names for it depending on manufacturer?

To be fair, I’M also past technology...