Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you react?

How would you react?

Hey Guys,
    So I've been hitting the ground running all year long, looking for spring bear
    and then scouting all summer.
    I found two spots where I was able to observe deer going from
    their bedding area to a small pond and even though I have been spending quite
    sometime at spot "A" I wasn't able to connect with a legal buck.
    So I switched up and have been in spot "B" now for a couple mornings (usually before work,
    only a twenty minute drive for me).
    I have seen a fair share of does etc but the bucks have been elusive.
    My trail cam was stolen from that spot so I was a bit worried that maybe another individual
    actively makes use of this spot and wants me out.

Yesterday I went out again (right around 4:30) and wanted to sit in the stand until
    after dusk as my cousin spotted a Buck a couple days prior there.
    As I am packing out my gun and backpack a Truck pulls up and the driver asked me if
    I am sticking in the vicinity which I confirmed.
    Spot "B" is only twenty minutes from the road up a ridge overlooking a little pond and as I am half way
    up I hear a whole barrage of gunfire... pull out the bino and it is that guy parked a bit further up the road just blasting the
    shit out of a tree.
    I still went up to the stand and the guy also kept shooting, I stopped counting at thirty shots and packed up.
    As he scared whatever might have been around into another zip code.

Took quite a bit of self restraint (and maybe self preservation) not to confront the guy.
    But what would you do?
    I was super excited to head there as it was my first legal buck I could get a crack at...
    Is this standard behavior if someone is close to where you want to be?

The problem for me is that a far drive in is usually out of the question unless
    it is a weekend and I spent a lot of time in those two spots trying to get a feel
    for them and setting up properly... feel a little cheated at this point.
    Just thought I would throw this out there.. would you abandon the area completely and look elsewhere or try again
    even though some hillbilly is actively trying to prevent you from being there (imo).
    Last edited by jan.wi97; 10-18-2019 at 10:39 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How would you react?

Quote Originally Posted by jan.wi97 View Post
    Hey Guys,
    So I've been hitting the ground running all year long, looking for spring bear
    and then scouting all summer.
    I found two spots where I was able to observe deer going from
    their bedding area to a small pond and even though I have been spending quite
    sometime at spot "A" I wasn't able to connect with a legal buck.
    So I switched up and have been in spot "B" now for a couple mornings (usually before work,
    only a twenty minute drive for me).
    I have seen a fair share of does etc but the bucks have been elusive.
    My trail cam was stolen from that spot so I was a bit worried that maybe another hunter
    actively makes use of this spot and wants me out.

Yesterday I went out again (right around 4:30) and wanted to sit in the stand until
    after dusk as my cousin spotted a Buck a couple days prior there.
    As I am packing out my gun and backpack a Truck pulls up and the driver asked me if
    I am sticking in the vicinity which I confirmed.
    Spot "B" is only twenty minutes from the road up a ridge overlooking a little pond and as I am half way
    up I hear a whole barrage of gunfire... pull out the bino and it is that guy parked a bit further up the road just blasting the
    shit out of a tree.
    I still went up to the stand and the guy also kept shooting, I stopped counting at thirty shots and packed up.
    As he scared whatever might have been around into another zip code.

Took quite a bit of self restraint (and maybe self preservation) not to confront the guy.
    But what would you do?
    I was super excited to head there as it was my first legal buck I could get a crack at...
    Is this standard behavior if someone is close to where you want to be?

The problem for me is that a far drive in is usually out of the question unless
    it is a weekend and I spent a lot of time in those two spots trying to get a feel
    for them and setting up properly... feel a little cheated at this point.
    Just thought I would throw this out there.. would you abandon the area completely and look elsewhere or try again
    even though some hillbilly is actively trying to prevent you from being there (imo).
    What we would do!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I’d move on. There are plenty of other options. And I for damn sure wouldn’t go logging with my rifle, that’s just ignorant.

Well...if he’s a hunter, he’s an ass. If it’s just a guy who doesn’t hunt and is going shooting...well....he is allowed. (Still an ass) Thirty shots or so ? Sounds like it’s not a “hunting” round he would be wasting . Maybe a SKS or .22 or something cheap on ammo?
    Last edited by limit time; 10-18-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

The walk of defeat gents...

It just really bugs me that I spent countless hours sitting there observing, taking notes, measuring distances etc etc.
    No problem all summer long, then the cam walks off and now this.

Limit time: I was leaning towards a 12 gauge it was noisy as hell and who blasts at trees anyway???
    Last edited by jan.wi97; 10-18-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Deer have a home territory, a few gunshots will likely alert them but I doubt they left the country
    30 shots could just be an asshat sighting a couple rifles at a poor time and location. Next time don't walk away from him, let him make the move away.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Well if this is the same local that your tires were flattened I’d move on. I’d also refrain from using the word “Hunter” associated with your problems as we hunters have enough issues with the haters as it is.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Well if this is the same local that your tires were flattened I’d move on. I’d also refrain from using the word “Hunter” associated with your problems as we hunters have enough issues with the haters as it is.
    Duly noted... that was somebody else... I had a good view of my truck...

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Deer have a home territory, a few gunshots will likely alert them but I doubt they left the country
    30 shots could just be an asshat sighting a couple rifles at a poor time and location. Next time don't walk away from him, let him make the move away.
    I'll try again, I know where they bed and hope that this time someone
    won't try logging with a shotgun!

Quote Originally Posted by jan.wi97 View Post
    Duly noted... that was somebody else... I had a good view of my truck...
    Just looked back, my bad.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.