Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you react?

Re: How would you react?

Sorry to hear. Get a plate next time and report to RAPP.
    wildlife act states:
    Obstructing licensed persons
    80 A person commits an offence if the person interferes with or obstructs a person licensed or permitted to capture wildlife or to hunt, fish, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged.

He could offer up the defense of target practice, but the rate of discharge and nature would be suspect as would the defense itself as he specifically asked if you were hinting the area in advance of the barrage.

Long shot,but at least it would be on record...

Why some guys choose to sight in their rifles, target shoot with their .22s and fire a few rounds just to make sure their shotgun works near other people in the middle of hunting season is beyond me. Don't normal people do that before the season?

There was one group up in the next forestry campsite from us in Region 6 one time when we were on a moose hunt a few years ago that were blasting with their rifles, .22s and shotguns right in the site. There was a small glade of trees between their site and ours. Anyway, the campsite caretaker from Burns Lake came around and must have noticed all the fresh empty cartridge cases and shells littering the ground and called the C.O.

He came over to check us out after dealing with them and said he'd ticketed them for shooting in a forestry site and caught one of their party driving with open alcohol in the truck too and ticketed them for that as well.

This happened to me and caddisgirl once.

We had a plan for opening day, drove out to the spot we where we would be starting out hike in, slept in the car until an hour before first light. A couple minutes into our walk we hear half a dozen shots from a 12 gauge and our car alarm started going off. Not sure if it they fired close enough to the car it set it off or if they messed with it to set it off on purpose, but I was concerned enough to run back there and check.... figured I'd ask if they need a tissue or a diaper or anything but they already peeled out of there. There are definitely a lot of sour crybabies in the woods that identity as hunters yet still have serious tamper tantrums lol

As for some gun shots messing up your chances with deer, I think it can go either way. A couple weeks ago I woke up first light to some grouse running around my camp and fired off a few shots with the 12ga (and missed LOL) ... upset at myself for missing the grouse, figuring I'd spooked any deer with nothing to show for it, I bumped into a whitetail about 100-150 yards away.

Last weekend I also saw a buck and later a doe in areas that I had shot grouse within the last 10-15 minutes.

I think at worst, deer might hunker down and be on alert for a few, but they're not booking it up the mountain or to the next valley over.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-18-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trowt View Post
    Long shot,but at least it would be on record...
    as easy as usimg the BCWF Conservation App
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaIaybl59s
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Thanks Caddisguy and Boxhitch!
    Downloading the app and next time, I'll just hang around!

Some people must really be salty and I'd rather avoid dealing with them
    or having an altercation so I simply left.
    Might park somewhere else though and walk a kilometer longer instead.

I've never been viewing deer during a 30 shot barrage but I have been viewing deer during 1, 2 and 3 shot happenings. 9 times out of 10 the deer don't give a shit. It's just a noise in the environment that is FULL of man made noises. Vehicles driving, chainsaws, trees falling (which at times sound like gunshots), planes, helicopters. I think the issue with loud noises is they draw attention and now they see you, where before they may not have.
    That's just the deer perspective. The guy going gun crazy immediatly after asking you if you were sticking around is another story. I'd love for them to get arrested for some asshattery or something but karma on seems to hurt the good guys. I'd probably avoid the area out of fear for my safety (on that same hand i'd report the guy) Is intimidation an offence?

I wouldn’t be concerned was hunting the lower mainland last weekend was watching deer in a cut block while people were blasting rounds 200 yards down the road,Some were bedded some feeding, shot the one buck, the crowd dispersed, dragged it out of the cutblock- took and hour- went back to get a backpack and a few were already back out feeding again, don’t let it rattle you, that guys an a hole though for asking then driving a little down the road.... you’ll get one out of their just be consistent

There is a reason I look for places that are good deer habitat and minimal amount of people

Sorry you experienced that Jan, I’d try to record video on my phone if that happened to me then report the goof. Makes me not want to hunt near others, which is what I’m leaning towards.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    There is a reason I look for places that are good deer habitat and minimal amount of people
    This^^^^^^