Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ram Down, Special Hunter, Inspiration. Appreciation.

Ram Down, Special Hunter, Inspiration. Appreciation.

It has taken me a few weeks to digest a recent hunt I helped out on and try and find the words to convey my thoughts and involvement. It will be the hunters story to tell.

HBC member jagermiester reached out to me in august explaining he had a contact that had received one of the highly coveted region 8 sheep draws. We chatted about the hunter and how I could help. I said at the very least I can meet with them, show them where to glass from and what the key areas are to focus on. Further, an introduction to our local game biologists who where great in their support.

I met the hunter, who is a gal, and she was over the moon about the prospect of hunting California Bighorns. Well, turns out she has been fighting cancer having had surgery and chemo so was a little worse for the ware but her attitude and conviction were top shelf despite her weakened condition...my kinda human being.

I declined going in opening week as I have friends that guide in this area and just don’t feel cool with interfering on any hunt or stalk that may be going on. She and her super cool friend were keen about the hunt.

I will admit I really questioned if this girl, that was definitely showing the signs of her cancer battle, could physically handle the country as it is very aggressive with cliffs, constant uphill grinds etc.

They did not get on any legal rams on their first pack in and it was obvious that the initial grind took its toll. BUT she was determined to go again. Once I knew my contacts had their nonresident ram down I felt free to put boots on the ground and help out anyway I could.

A very special man agreed to help out knowing her weakened state brought his horses down and road her up into a known killing spot. The previous hike in was too tough on her.
    Last edited by Ourea; 10-20-2019 at 12:58 PM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ram Down, Special Hunter, Inspiration. Appreciation.

Oh man I love HBC and it’s members good people through and through. I will be following this thread closely.

I like it..love it..already..
    Srupp

awesome!!! can hardly wait for more.
    Ross

Tugs at the heart . . . .
    Last edited by ACE; 10-17-2019 at 04:26 PM.

True hunters are really good people, help just about anyone.

Excellent ! Cannot wait for More ! Sounds like she's a CHAMP ! RJ

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

More please! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I wish to mention that she lost her husband to cancer and he was active in wildlife and a frequent contributor here on HBC.

Jesse headed out the next morning with the horses as he had commitments, leaving us to keep snooping around. We covered a lot of ground and glassing the heck out of the known haunts. No rams, very little sign and the reason I was moving about more than one normally would/should. I kept the pace slow when we moved so she wouldn’t get too fatigued...never a complaint, she fought step after step, ridge after ridge, and simply smiled when I asked how she was doing.

I must admit being around a person that is in a tough way that had no quit in her was very inspiring, altering.

Day 2, no sheep and packed out. My sciatic was flared up, one of my mnt toes was leaking pretty good and I could feel it girgling in my boot. Again I would look back at her knowing she is exhausted, “you doing ok” I would ask, “ I’m great she would respond. Knowing how hard this was on her and she fought thru it simply made my aches and pains seem irrelevant. We would regroup and and make plans to head out again in a different area.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Cant wait for the whole story. This is what hunting forums are about..
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................