Thread: Ram Down, Special Hunter, Inspiration. Appreciation.

Threaded View

Ram Down, Special Hunter, Inspiration. Appreciation.

It has taken me a few weeks to digest a recent hunt I helped out on and try and find the words to convey my thoughts and involvement. It will be the hunters story to tell.

HBC member jagermiester reached out to me in august explaining he had a contact that had received one of the highly coveted region 8 sheep draws. We chatted about the hunter and how I could help. I said at the very least I can meet with them, show them where to glass from and what the key areas are to focus on. Further, an introduction to our local game biologists who where great in their support.

I met the hunter, who is a gal, and she was over the moon about the prospect of hunting California Bighorns. Well, turns out she has been fighting cancer having had surgery and chemo so was a little worse for the ware but her attitude and conviction were top shelf despite her weakened condition...my kinda human being.

I declined going in opening week as I have friends that guide in this area and just don’t feel cool with interfering on any hunt or stalk that may be going on. She and her super cool friend were keen about the hunt.

I will admit I really questioned if this girl, that was definitely showing the signs of her cancer battle, could physically handle the country as it is very aggressive with cliffs, constant uphill grinds etc.

They did not get on any legal rams on their first pack in and it was obvious that the initial grind took its toll. BUT she was determined to go again. Once I knew my contacts had their nonresident ram down I felt free to put boots on the ground and help out anyway I could.

A very special man agreed to help out knowing her weakened state brought his horses down and road her up into a known killing spot. The previous hike in was too tough on her.
    Last edited by Ourea; 10-20-2019 at 12:58 PM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

2. Site Sponsor