Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 LEH Moose Hunt

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

2019 LEH Moose Hunt

Wrote this post up the night I shot my moose. Just getting around to posting it up.

It's been a long time coming but I finally managed to connect on my first bull moose. My good friend Dave (Elkhound) and I drew LEH moose tags this year. We left for our hunt on October 4th. Started scouting the area on Saturday, the 5th and found a few promising areas with the help of one of Dave's long time, close friends. Made a plan for the Sunday. Started off early, extremely early, to get in for first light. Saw a couple of cow moose throughout the day and finally nearing last light, he took a great bull.

Fast forward through a long, physically (Dave had been fighting a lung infection and I came down with a cold on the Tuesday morning), emotionally and mentally exhausting week of hunting and we only saw one more huge bull at about 1,000 yards. We tried to track him down, to no avail. We're down to the second last day of the trip and I had basically resigned myself to the fact that we would have to be satisfied with the one moose.

Woke up this morning with a terrible headache.Took a couple of Advil Cold and Sinus and went for a long walk in the rain, hoping the fresh air would help. After lunch I was feeling somewhat better so we decided to get out and at least try to find a deer. All week long we had only seen deer at first and last light, feeding at the side of the highway. They vanished during the day.

We searched a big area, seeing only a couple of does. Getting close to the time that we had to be back for dinner, Dave suggested that we try one last loggng slash. Pulled in and Dave quickly noticed an anomaly that he more closely inspected. It's a moose! We jump out of the truck, Dave confirms that it's a bull and sets up the shooting sticks while I quickly load my rifle. I get settled and anxiously try to find the moose in my crosshairs. Got him. I ask Dave if he's sure it's a bull because I can't see his headgear clearly. He says yes, just shoot already. 165 yards, one shot from the Browning X-Bolt 6.5 Crredmoor using Sako 156 gr. Deerhead factory loads, bull runs about 10 yards, finds the deepest hole around and expires.

All the emotions come flooding through me, from euphoria to remorse but now the work begins. It's 4:00 and we're supposed to be back for dinner at 5:00. I think we're going to be late. While Dave goes to find cell service to call for the cavalry, I begin the gutting process. Bullwinkle has a parting gift, I nick myself with my knife. Bandaid and a new rubber glove and continue. Dave arrives and shortly after the cavalry, thanks for everything Scott, and we finish gutting and dragging the moose the 275' to the road, load it into the truck and make it back for dinner at 7:00.

Its midnight now and I should be dead tired after the physical and emotional exertion, but I'm wired so I decided to write up this post.

Thanks for everything to Dave, my keen eyed companion, spotter and gun bearer. Couldn't have done it without you. Also Scott for being such an amazing host and hunting companion.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/...JoesMoose2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/...JoesMoose3.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/...JoesMoose1.jpg
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2019 LEH Moose Hunt

Good job guys! Thanks for posting...

Congratulations! That’s a nice young bull, looks tender!

Nice Work Grumpa and Support Team!!

Congrats on your first and a freezer full of Canada's Best Grits!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

great moose thanks for sharing.

Nice bull!Congrats!I got next week off to find the fairy tale two point?

I can taste that bull from here,nice moose!

Hmm well done.good job on pushing through sickness to achieve the goal..good to see someone smile..lol
    Srupp

Grumpa Joe. That’s a fine moose good story with great ending.
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Nice story well told. Beautiful bull. Congratulations and enjoy the steaks!