Wrote this post up the night I shot my moose. Just getting around to posting it up.

It's been a long time coming but I finally managed to connect on my first bull moose. My good friend Dave (Elkhound) and I drew LEH moose tags this year. We left for our hunt on October 4th. Started scouting the area on Saturday, the 5th and found a few promising areas with the help of one of Dave's long time, close friends. Made a plan for the Sunday. Started off early, extremely early, to get in for first light. Saw a couple of cow moose throughout the day and finally nearing last light, he took a great bull.

Fast forward through a long, physically (Dave had been fighting a lung infection and I came down with a cold on the Tuesday morning), emotionally and mentally exhausting week of hunting and we only saw one more huge bull at about 1,000 yards. We tried to track him down, to no avail. We're down to the second last day of the trip and I had basically resigned myself to the fact that we would have to be satisfied with the one moose.

Woke up this morning with a terrible headache.Took a couple of Advil Cold and Sinus and went for a long walk in the rain, hoping the fresh air would help. After lunch I was feeling somewhat better so we decided to get out and at least try to find a deer. All week long we had only seen deer at first and last light, feeding at the side of the highway. They vanished during the day.

We searched a big area, seeing only a couple of does. Getting close to the time that we had to be back for dinner, Dave suggested that we try one last loggng slash. Pulled in and Dave quickly noticed an anomaly that he more closely inspected. It's a moose! We jump out of the truck, Dave confirms that it's a bull and sets up the shooting sticks while I quickly load my rifle. I get settled and anxiously try to find the moose in my crosshairs. Got him. I ask Dave if he's sure it's a bull because I can't see his headgear clearly. He says yes, just shoot already. 165 yards, one shot from the Browning X-Bolt 6.5 Crredmoor using Sako 156 gr. Deerhead factory loads, bull runs about 10 yards, finds the deepest hole around and expires.

All the emotions come flooding through me, from euphoria to remorse but now the work begins. It's 4:00 and we're supposed to be back for dinner at 5:00. I think we're going to be late. While Dave goes to find cell service to call for the cavalry, I begin the gutting process. Bullwinkle has a parting gift, I nick myself with my knife. Bandaid and a new rubber glove and continue. Dave arrives and shortly after the cavalry, thanks for everything Scott, and we finish gutting and dragging the moose the 275' to the road, load it into the truck and make it back for dinner at 7:00.

Its midnight now and I should be dead tired after the physical and emotional exertion, but I'm wired so I decided to write up this post.

Thanks for everything to Dave, my keen eyed companion, spotter and gun bearer. Couldn't have done it without you. Also Scott for being such an amazing host and hunting companion.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/...JoesMoose2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/...JoesMoose3.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/...JoesMoose1.jpg