Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lookin for a little spring TURKEY advice!

Re: Lookin for a little spring TURKEY advice!

any bears stirring down there by late april? worth packing a rifle for a combo turkey/bear hunt?
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Come to the Castlegar area, I see 30+ on the drive to work everyday.

Due to professional obligations (setting up a new business) I was unable to go turkey hunting the last three years. Things have settled down enough to go turkey hunting for two to three days in the coming spring.
    I wonder how the wildfires affected the turkey populations around Christian Lake and Grand Forks. Is it worth it? Or should I look for other areas? Around Beaverdell used to be a small population of turkeys, don't know if they are still around in huntable numbers.
    Maybe someone form these areas could fill me in on what is happening. Appreciated.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 10-27-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    any bears stirring down there by late april? worth packing a rifle for a combo turkey/bear hunt?
    Stirring around yes, prevalent not so much.

PM Sent

Like someone already said "it's like a mini elk hunt". Box calls are easy, decoys are relatively cheap. South facing slopes with big mature roosting trees is key. I like bands of thick brush intermixed with open slopes (they like steep stuff) and big fir trees. In the AM just before first light i walk slowly and just listen (they make a lot of noise in the morning) I've had luck with the "listen and stalk" method. I've also had luck just still hunting and bumping them out of thick stuff. If you're going to call ensure you have multiple sight lines and a decoy or two always helps. Mid-end of April is a great time to go.

As for spots.... I can PM you with some better details but basically from just west of the Okanagan all the way to Fernie, there are turkeys. Think US border and south slopes in that large tract of land. They're there.

PM sent.
    And on the subject of bruins - in all the years turkey hunting I think I’ve seen maybe 2 bears...
    Twist and pull.