Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mule deer hunting Barriere

Re: Mule deer hunting Barriere

Hunted barrier twice last year. Mid November and end of November. Saw an absolute shit ton of does, like 30 a day, but only one 2 point buck. Also saw a ton of hunters. On the vehicles open roads, every spot you could pull over had a truck parked in it. Definitely like the open/closed road management tho!

Quote Originally Posted by g2mike View Post
    Hunted barrier twice last year. Mid November and end of November. Saw an absolute shit ton of does, like 30 a day, but only one 2 point buck. Also saw a ton of hunters. On the vehicles open roads, every spot you could pull over had a truck parked in it. Definitely like the open/closed road management tho!
    Were you hiking or road hunting mostly?
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it" - Fred Bear

First time in the area so map - drive to spot - hike. Not road hunting but did some driving to find spots to hike into. Definitely some room to hike tho. There are marked horse trails well. Lots of good glassing opportunity too

Hunted Skull Sept last year.

Very cool area. I love the restricted vehicle access, wish there was waaaay more of that.

We seen approximately 4 Mule Deer Does and 1 Pair Cow/Calf Moose over 2 days.

As you I was dreaming of a Hike In spot crawling with Deer.

As usual lets blame the wolves, road access, region 5 and 8 flocking here in the thousands because of the generous GOS. are a much bigger factor than predators will ever be. Sometimes we have to look in the mirror to see the problem. And yes I am ready for the venom

I've hunted in 3-39 for about 25 years. It is open for mule deer until Dec 10 for a reason. While there are a few resident giant bucks in the lowlands year round, the numbers only appear when winter pushes them out of the high country of Wells Gray.

I don't even bother the area until after a few good frosts as the insects (no-see-ums?) can be nasty.
    Also, watch your back if you are using deer calling techniques; I've called in several cougars over the years and they can get REALLY close before you see them.