Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mule deer hunting Barriere

Mule deer hunting Barriere

Looking for some constructive information on mule deer populations in the Barriere area. Haven't been up that way in years but planning a return in November. Please don't mistaken this for prying for honey holes or GPS coordinates as I have been avidly hunting for 20 years and I understand the "rules of the road" when it comes to asking other hunters for information. We will be coming up in 4 point season and we are leaning towards Skull and Goudreau. I see there's an ATV ban throughout the season and lots of the side roads are closed to motor vehicles which is great as we like putting the miles on the boots. Can a guy find a detailed map online of the roads open and closed for motorized vehicles? Any information is greatly appreciated.
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it" - Fred Bear

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mule deer hunting Barriere

Last year I hunted there was 1983 so I don't think my information would be much good to you. I hunted mostly up Peterson Creek because I lived there. I'm reminded I should get back up there for a hunt sometime. GD

We been up there for years. Dismal deer numbers. Pretty hard to find any buck with some age in it. Lots of wolves around for the last decade! Lots of country void of life, little pockets of deer

roads are posted yes or no on skull...
    if your in for a good hike giver...not alot of bucks in there any more.

I would have thought the fire that went through there a few years ago would have been good for the deer population....

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    I would have thought the fire that went through there a few years ago would have been good for the deer population....
    Good for hunting as the visibility increased dramatically, resulting in diminished numbers. The poplars are filling in the draws creating some good bedding areas, but the bigger bucks are still higher and north until it gets colder. There are lots of closed roads on Skull. Better check the regs if you one of the few that cares about such things.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Wolves thinned it out real good compared to the past.....tough sledding from what I seen few years ago

last year winter came late i was in there in febuary for a hike....would have shot preds if seen..for sure theres deer...but not what your dreaming of...if you go bring a good cart as if you shoot one its a pack out..

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Used to bow hunt that area and west. The fires, and even worse, the wolf problem
    have greatly reduced the population. The last time I was in there hunting with my wife
    we saw few deer but wolf dung on just about every side road. I was camped at Latremouille
    Lake this early September and heard wolves howling both nights.

lol saw your camp...we where there one whole day..did not see a deer.

i had my wife and two kids..brought home some cedar from the new slash at the begining. and the kids swam in the creek at the very bottom after our long hikes. i did not even bring my bow just binos and son packed his rifle.