Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: An easy question for all you elk hunters..

Re: An easy question for all you elk hunters..

this will not be of any help because i only have 1 elk @75 yards and was not hunting elk at the time..... I was up the bull river near sulfur creek and was looking to fill my last WT tag. was told to bring an elk tag just in case...he was following his harem of 3 cows and 2 younger ones so kind of pre-occupied...i put a shot into his boiler room with a 30-06 and prolly was almost as quick as a semi auto on a follow up shot because of how many stories i had heard of them soaking up lead and running off...it did not run off and the second shot was a bit higher clipping the spine... only the back legs dropped and it tried to get up and escape. it turned to face me and i put one in the throat but contined to try and get up evenn after the 3rd shot...it dropped dead on the 4th shot that was just under the chin....even though they are not as big as moose, i believe they are a harder animal to recover and would give me pause to get a bigger stick than the 30-06 with 150 grain little deer bullets

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Shot a couple at 30 paces with a 300gr 375h&h, on a seismic line. Shot one this year at 100-120 yrds with a 338 RCM, on a seismic line, and a 210 ttsx. Shot one at 200ish yrds steep downhill angle with a 300 win mag and a 180 fusion, one at 150 plus yrds with a 270 win and a 130 gr swift scirooco. Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

When I was a kid the go to guns were .270 and 30-06. Seemed to kill elk just fine. Hunters tended to become proficient with the rifle by practicing alot. Some guys had 7mm, 300 win, and the odd 338.

Nowadays there are multitudes of calibers to choose from and it can be quite daunting. Don't overthink your choice. They will all do the job if you do your part. Lots of very expensive cartridges out there

Your opportunities to bag an elk will increase greatly if you are prepared to walk to a spot in the dark and come home in the dark. If you stay overnight near them you will likely hear them bugling and have a better idea of their location. If walking, Be careful not to go too far because it makes retreival a very difficult and lengthy task. Packing out an elk is not an easy one man job.

I think it depends on how you intend to hunt. I have shot 8 Elk and the Longest shot was about 80 yards. I would say my average shot has been about 35 yards. All but 1 have been called in. If you are decent at calling the shots should be close. If you plan to spot in open areas the shots could be long.

338 wm with 210 ttsx from 60 to 325 yards for the majority of elk. A couple of bulls with 270 win with 140 accubonds, both closer than 80 yards. I think anything comparable to the 270 win or bigger with a proper elk bullet will get the job done for you as long as you hit the right spot.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.