Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An easy question for all you elk hunters..

Re: An easy question for all you elk hunters..

really depends on the kind of elk terrain you'll be hunting.....in the timber?, open scree slopes, farms?

Our elk hunting has all been in the timber bordering agriculture or cut blocks, I'd say across 14 bulls, the average shot would be less than 70 yds, we did catch 2 out in the open block that would have been 200-250 yd shots.

For the way we hunt them,humping and bushwhacking for up to 10 hrs a day, what I would look for in a dedicated elk rifle, would be.....light as possible, compact as possible. Tikka t3x lite compact comes to mind, wildcat stocked rem mod 7 if building. Leupold 2-7x33 on top

For a cartridge i would want short action with some close range thump, coupled with 300-400 yd capability should the odd occasion arise when I needed to stretch it out a bit. Mild enough recoil to make for quick follow up shots if needed. i have a bit of a preference for 7mm over the 30 cals, so I would probably look at the classic 284 win pushing a 168 barnes lrx around 2650 fps. Plenty of oomph and any angle pass through up close, as well as holding over 2000 fps and over 1500 ft/lbs at 400yds.
    If my style of hunting them, or my area made longer shots the norm....280ai will push that same 168 lrx up well over 2800 fps and give you plenty of range with reasonable recoil.

JMO
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Along the river, calling elk in from the other side, mostly 330 yards down to say 150 yards.
    In a cut block, anywhere from 150 yards, right down to 10 feet.
    A couple I didn't get, because I was too close, as we both could have almost kissed.

My thoughts are elk are tough and they seem to soak up lead. I like to anchor them. Shoot the biggest gun you can accurately imo.

I find a 300 mag of any kind is ignorant to shoot. 338-06 with 210 ttsx might be something to ponder. Possibly a 35 Whelan. I sure like my 338wm for the elk.

I have shot them from point blank to about 450..

6.5 by 55, 30-06, 338WM, 7-08.. All died..

People say elk are hard to kill.. I don't believe so, they just react differently when shot.. I shot a moose 7 times thru the heart with my 06 years ago that just stood there and not fall over.. Most elk when shot just decide they need to leave.. they still die, just not where they were shot at.. unless you use head shots, of course
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Elk are classy creatures so I’d choose a classy caliber, maybe 300h&h, or 35whelen.

I've never shot an elk, but I can tell.you that a BLR benefits from magna-porting to combat muzzle jump.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Never killed one yet, but my northern bc big game rifle is a 300wsm 165ttsx in a kimber Montana. Absolutely love the gun, and the stock is very well designed. Feels like I’m shooting a 30-06. Less recoil then my old tikka 300wm.

I think your on the right track for caliber, your going to want some thump. IMO

I have used the 270 Win a lot for elk.
    But having said that, I would recommend a slightly higher caliber, like a 300 win mag.
    Reason being, 270's only spit out 150 gr bullets and even a nosler partition doesn't go thru and thru.

And Rocksteady had a great point, elk do not stick around when shot!!!
    They haul ass if they can, and can cover a lot of ground before they die, and that's where it gets complicated tracking when you use a
    caliber that does not go thru and thru.

A 300 win mag will, up to a good range go thru and thru, thus you now have 2 holes for blood to run out from, especially the exit wound, as
    entry is tiny, and tracking for blood is much easier.....hopefully.
    With good shot placement, most any caliber is deadly, just sometimes not instantly, and then you are looking for blood.

I called in a monster sow and 2 big cubs, and a big boar with elk calls this year, ready to come chew my ass. The extra hp is nice. 300wsm for the 24” barrell.