Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An easy question for all you elk hunters..

An easy question for all you elk hunters..

Have been doing some pondering recently, and one thing I keep wondering, what’s the average distance an elk is taken at ?

If you’re an archery hunter, feel free to include your ranges !

if you’ve harvested many elk, you can also just give an average..
    if you want to be really helpful, just put the general terrain the shot was taken in as well.

Am currently piecing together an elk specific gun, so all answers appreciated and will go a long way to helping me make a decision when I’ve never hunted them let alone harvested one.

might as well let you guys pick apart my plan so far..

BLR stainless pistol grip in 300 win mag, with a vortex viper gen II 1-6 scope. (Liking the extra weight to manage recoil a bit )

also debating a .308 hells canyon speed, scope undecided.. but that’s a bit boring
    wouldn’t want to bump up to the 300WM in the hells canyon as that defaults to a 26” barrel and not the nimble 22”.

cheers.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 10-15-2019 at 10:58 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: An easy question for all you elk hunters..

250, 320, 200, 350. Used a 260 rem for the first 2, and 30-06 for the next 2.

300, 6, 250 with a .338RUM and 200, 200, 150, 200 with 7mm RM. Open terrain, steep angle at times, flat shot on others. All tasty!
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...

I’ve shot a dozen or so. Closest was at 25 yds with 25-06. Farthest was 500 and change with a 26 nosler. The majority were between 250-400 with a 338 wm with 2 taken with 30-06. Lots of field hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    stainless pistol grip in 300 win mag, with a vortex viper gen II 1-6 scope. (Liking the extra weight to manage recoil a bit )

also debating a .308 hells canyon speed, scope undecided.. but that’s a bit boring
    wouldn’t want to bump up to the 300WM in the hells canyon as that defaults to a 26” barrel and not the nimble 22”.

cheers.
    I've found the BLR stock designs do a poor job at managing recoil for me. You end up with a fair amount of "jump" in the barrel/gun... I wouldn't want a 300wm in a BLR, but that's just me. I would say that a good ole "boring" 308 is about perfect for anything out to 300ish yards.. After that I'd be looking at a flat shooting 7mm or even 6.5. I'm currently running a kimber montana in 308 as it fits the bill for compact, ultralight and powerful enough. The straight stock design of the kimbers does an excellent job with recoil, just as the x-bolts do.

Good luck!
    TJ
    Last edited by Timberjack; 10-16-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberjack View Post
    I've found the BLR stock designs do a poor job at managing recoil for me. You end up with a fair amount of "jump" in the barrel/gun... I wouldn't want a 300wm in a BLR, but that's just me. I would say that a good ole "boring" 308 is about perfect for anything out to 300ish yards.. After that I'd be looking at a flat shooting 7mm or even 6.5. I'm currently running a kimber montana in 308 as it fis the bill for compact, ultralight and powerful enough. The straight stock design of the kimbers does an excellent job with recoil, just as the x-bolts do.

Good luck!
    TJ

hmmm, you make a fair point... I have the blr in .308 and the recoil was negligible so I figured the 300 wouldn’t be so terrible, but after watching some videos of people shooting it, the muzzle climb is insane aha. Unfortunately this model for whatever reason browning decided shouldn’t come with sling mounts so it’s certainly not a gun I’m carrying around all day !

I already have the hells canyon LR in 6.5 CM shooting 140G accubonds and the gun is a laser. Was just wanting a little bit more punch, looking at all these ranges I’m going to say I’m going to need the extra horse power lol.

I suppose after reading this I’m leaning towards the 300WM for the extra insurance at planting the bull where it stands.. back to the drawing board.

thanks folks.

60 yards broadside, 19 yard frontal, 25 yards broadside. First two with 375 ruger, last with pointy stick. All 6 point bulls

All at 150 - 300 yards with 30-06 and 300 Weatherby. I prefer the larger calibers as I’m not recoil shy and I’ve had too many grizzly around my hunting areas the last few years. Nothing like a screaming bull.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Bow all broadside shots
    1 at 18 yards
    1 at 30
    1 at 43
    1 at 53

1 at 35 with a muzzleloader
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-16-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    All at 150 - 300 yards with 30-06 and 300 Weatherby. I prefer the larger calibers as I’m not recoil shy and I’ve had too many grizzly around my hunting areas the last few years. Nothing like a screaming bull.
    another good point.. I’ve even been seeing them the odd time around my white tail spots north and east of Kamloops.. definitely good to have the extra security in their turf.