Thread: Shifting Winds

Shifting Winds

I started hunting an area well known to me with a degree of success until the winds started shifting contiguously. As a result I moved, but again the winds shifted. This happen over the whole course of the day till last light and I am wondering what does everyone do when the wind is out of your control? Do you (A) Say, "****-it," and leave for home? (B) "****-it" and stay put no matter the winds (lay down and maybe take a nap with an ear open)? (C) move around and accept that the day is out of control. of (D)_________(insert advice here)_______

This has never happened to me in my 8 years hunting.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shifting Winds

I have this happen frequently hunting in elevation. Unless it's beneficial to try switching my direction of travel, I will head back to my vehicle and try another spot.

Change direction. If into wind is not where you want to or can go, don't bother.

It is an inevitable frustration.
    This last hunt I had, I have a good idea to a few ways the wind will blow, and go in accordingly.
    But, you can be there, all is good and then out of nowhere there is a shift.
    It's frustrating.
    Other thing is, it can shift right where you are, but 50 yards in front, where you think the wind is blowing, it is actually going a different direction!!

I have a new cutblock picked out possibly fpor next season, and a few thoughts on where I want to place myself and where I think the game
    will either bed or come and go from for water.
    I also took several opportunities to plan my walk in, see how the wind blows, FOR the MOST PART and when.

That's all you can do, and if the wind isn't in your favor, move on, imo.
    I know that every time, and I mean every time I have had action/success, the wind was right.
    Anything less than that, and nothing ever happened or attempts failed....period!

Also, if its an area I really want to be in, but by mid morning the wind changes, I back out to maybe not the most desirable spot, but from there I can still call, and in that spot, where the wind ends up blowing, I know is not a concern.
    Sometimes I have pulled game over from the prime spot to the secondary spot, all because I avoided the wind going to them.

But that's for moose or elk.
    Deer, that's different story, but scent above all else is their main sense of protection, imo.