Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel like I got poached out of my first buck.

Unhappy I feel like I got poached out of my first buck.

I'll try to keep this condensed as much as possible. I still don't know how to take it.

I'm 35 and have been trying to bag my first deer for 7 years with no luck. I have no guidance and literally no time to "just get out there". So a friend from work to gets his buck every year invited me to his place near princeton with the sole goal of helping me get one. Perfect.

On thursday the 10th, we were surprised by a 2x2 buck, and through my noobishness I couldn't' get him lined up in my scoped to pull a clean shot. He ****ed off in a small hill with his harem. We spent the whole day trying to flush him out and waited past the hour of sundown with no luck.

On friday we decided to let that group chill out and went north of tulameen looking for other bucks based on a locals sightings. No luck.

On saturday we get up a 530, and head back out to where we KNEW the 2x2 buck was and was met by a slow moving SUV. He eventually went down another spur and we got to our spot. I had 4 hours of****ing around left on my vacation for the year, and god dammit I was close to getting my buck.

We start to walk towards to hill where we saw the buck, and eventually spot the does. My friend goes down the road 200 yards and is trying to find a way to cut in. I'm looking at the old skidder track we went up, but I want to see that buck first.

The hill with the buck is on my left, and a road 200 yards away is to my right. Then that grey SUV rolls onto it. The driver gets out and glasses me with binos. I have my binos on him, and I wave trying to get him to leave.

But he doesn't. He looks at the mountain that we're walking towards and glassing, and he hops in and drives further. The whole time he has his window down, and hes creeping real slow. Then he stops,and I see a spotting scope rest on his window.

****. He's spotted our buck. My buddy is already making his way into the valley that begins at the base of this hill, and the driver and his friend get out with their rifles and a bag, and a shooting mat and set up at the front of their vehicle. It's too late now. So I start to frantically wave at my friend to let him know about whats going on and then I hear a shot ring out, followed by another roughly 5 seconds later. I use my binos to look at the grey SUV and the guys are getting back in a backing up.

They drive up to us and asked if the road he's on goes around to the other side, and my friend calmly tells him and asks the driver: “What size of a buck was it?” and the driver says: “A nice 3x3. Thats all I want” and my friend says “well, we were hunting a 2x2 we were knew was on that hill. Good shot I guess.”

I’m so pissed I don’t say a thing.

Then the driver says “yeah, that was a 420 yardshot...the other hill (he points to the one beside the buck hill) has some does, we haven’t gone there yet”
    My friend tells him that we’ll check out other spots. We didn't stick around to see if it was a 3x3 or not.

So that’s it. I can’t help but feel like I got ****ed somehow. Granted, the buck he shot was on the other side of the hill, but weknew there was at least a 2x2 buck there.

I guess I’m just trying to figure this whole scenario out. I’m pretty frustrated here. Do you experienced guys have some advice?

Sorry for the long read....
    Last edited by Pointdexter; 10-14-2019 at 08:56 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I feel like I got poached out of my first buck.

Kinda crappy but just the way it goes sometimes and thats always the risk with hunting around road access. You guys may never have got a shot anyhow. Try get back out for the rut if you can. Also...nothing poached about it...totally legal as long as they had tags.

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Kinda crappy but just the way it goes sometimes and thats always the risk with hunting around road access. You guys may never have got a shot anyhow. Try get back out for the rut if you can. Also...nothing poached about it...totally legal as long as they had tags.
    Ah ok. Thanks

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Yes, that's very frustrating all right, but there'll always be others that don't give a darn
    if they're butting into another's active hunt. Your situation would be more cut and dry
    had you been in the process of stalking or aiming at that buck. It seems that there's
    more and more inconsiderate people out there the last few years. I'm old school and
    there's no way I would purposely go around another hunter to try and shoot an animal
    he was actively hunting. When bow hunting I've had several people race up to me or
    yell and honk their horn to try and scare the deer I was stalking away. I had one bunch
    of tree planters, one of them a bow hunter, race their truck as fast as they could right
    up to my while I actually had my bow fully drawn as I waited for a buck to present me
    with a full broadside. It's pretty sad that there's lowlife around us with no real morals
    or concept of consideration and fairness...it's all about them. I imagine they would be
    really upset if you had done that to them...even to the point of trying to get revenge.

Maybe poor etiquette on his part but that’s the crappy part about walking around on roads

If you have nothing constructive to add DON'T!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

It was never YOUR buck. Those other hunters did not know your situation. It sucks but thats just the way it goes. Hope you get a buck soon. It will happen.

I'd say you have a good area to go back too and try again by yourself. Karma can be a bitch
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

You live locally to Princeton?
    seriously don’t sweat it, it’s any buck and white tail dor open... odds greatly increase AFTER this weekend, give it a few days for the woods to calm back down... there was just an invasion of trucks atvs and side by sides cruising up and down every fsr since Friday.

also thanks for the google chuckle.

keep at it, you’ll get it.

Don't carry those thoughts around with you . . . . let them go. Your chance will come again. Enjoy your time in the field.