Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel like I got poached out of my first buck.

Re: I feel like I got poached out of my first buck.

Timing is everything but when hunting on or near roads, this is exactly one of the challenges. Sucks, but stop letting it eat you up. Heck, I've even had another hunter drive right around me and honk his horn as I was aiming on taking a buck one time off a FSR. Ding dongs everywhere up there but honestly it's all part of the crap you can experience when you are a road hunter or near roads. Crappy for sure but we need to get away from roads to minimize these problems. Just wait until you have a buddy or two to help you find a buck or animal you know of, and one of them actually shoot what you asked them to help you with. That's another crappy feeling - depending on how you look at it. Or when your driving and your buddy hops out and plugs the big buck you spotted. All part of the game I say. lol.

That's road hunting. It helps to figure out a few spots off the road. Not that far in the bush either.

I got a Region 2 blacktail and a Region 8 mulie last year each time less than 300 yards from busy roads with trucks and quads going by regularly.
    Last edited by MichelD; 10-15-2019 at 10:25 AM.

The first one to pull the trigger wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Pointdexter View Post
    I'll try to keep this condensed as much as possible. I still don't know how to take it.

Do you experienced guys have some advice?

Sorry for the long read....
    You just have to suck it up Princess.
    One day, you will be walking up a road when a hunter in a truck will pass you with nary a wave and disappears around the corner. The road dead ends future up and one is compelled to return.
    You come around the corner with the truck-hunter not in sight but there is a hugh buck staring in the direction that the hunter had gone. Of course you get the shot off and the buck drops in it's track. You are in the process of dressing it when the truckie returns. He slows down as he passes you and continues along with nary a wave.
    The next day you sign in to HBC to discover this dude lamenting about missing out on a big buck that was shot after he passed by and how pissed he was about that. You then proceed to tell the story of your super-duper non-typical that you bagged when it came out to investigate a truck that just passed by.
    Are you happy now?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Pointdexter, there is an old proverb that says something to the effect of... ”you can’t control the actions of another person, you can only control yourself.” In this case you can’t control the actions of the other hunter. They took an animal legally. Most hunters would have driven off and given you the space to hunt, but you can’t count on it. You can’t control his actions, no point dwelling on it. But you can control yours. You lost an opportunity on a decent buck because you lost it in your scope. That gives you something you can control. You can work on being more proficient with your rifle so you don’t make that noob mistake again. Get it so natural you don’t even think about it. You bring up your rifle and that reticle is pointed right where you are looking. Next time an opportunity like that happens, you’ll be able to capitalize.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Don't carry those thoughts around with you . . . . let them go. Your chance will come again. Enjoy your time in the field.

Good words to live by. I use to go hunting and be stressed the whole time about getting a animal I would not enjoy myself. Now I stop a smell the roses, and kill way more shit, just go enjoy life and the hunt. And when I say the hunt that is every moment up to pulling the trigger. Enjoy all of it, because one day you’ll be to old or f’d up to keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Enjoy all of it, because one day you’ll be to old or f’d up to keep at it.
    ^^^^^^^Good advice right here

Originally Posted by RackStar
    Enjoy all of it, because one day you’ll be to old or f’d up to keep at it.

- You know, I'm taking this to heart because that really sums this game up - doesn't it?

Amen to that.....
    " Happiness is bringin home a horny one!"

When you see buddy get his rifle take 3 shots shrug your shoulders goto the pub have a beer and remember the look on his face works wonders