were u near a farm or something
    cant imagine getting that many hits on a running bear
    something sounds odd her

Re: Harvesting an Animal that has Already Been Shot

Small caliber with exit wounds, Drillbit I agree

Common? Fortunately no, but many likely die without been seen
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Sounds a bit like 00 buckshot. They are 22 cal and won’t expand. Glad you put it down, it would have suffered horribly come winter.

sounds like something you have to look at to comment on. .... yet I still comment!
    2 of the three that were not yours having exit wounds, one being the neck I assume which anything could exit... ... the one in the chest is not a 22 rim or buckshot neither of those would exit.
    The other one in the chest that didn't exit could have been in the guts.....

I think it is impossible to say as posted here.... FMJ you would figure the other Chest shot would have exited as well.
    sounds to me like someone told the shooter " sure your .223 is perfect for bear, just put the bullet where it counts"

Quote Originally Posted by butthead View Post
    were u near a farm or something
    cant imagine getting that many hits on a running bear
    something sounds odd her
    Closest thing would be some agriculture fields a couple Ks away. Eyesight of a road, but quite some distance from it. Hunting partner says he saw the same bear in the same spot when he took his not too far away back in early September.

wouldnt be suprised if someone just peppered it just to get it off there yard...i believe this goes on more than you think by igmorant people.

A buddy shot an awesome 4x4 Mule deer up in 6-8 one time. Skinning it I recovered a .22 bullet from the neck.

Shot a bear a couple of years ago in region 2. When we butchered it my wife said it looked like the front leg had been shot and healed somehow.

Maybe buckshot? maybe a farmer or landowner put a round in a problem bear?

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    sounds like something you have to look at to comment on. .... yet I still comment!
    2 of the three that were not yours having exit wounds, one being the neck I assume which anything could exit... ... the one in the chest is not a 22 rim or buckshot neither of those would exit.
    The other one in the chest that didn't exit could have been in the guts.....

I think it is impossible to say as posted here.... FMJ you would figure the other Chest shot would have exited as well.
    sounds to me like someone told the shooter " sure your .223 is perfect for bear, just put the bullet where it counts"
    I tried posting pictures, but they won't upload. Image hosting sites don't seem to want to do it either. Open to suggestions, as it seems more problematic than it should to post pictures.

To perhaps better describe the shot placements.
    The neck shot was located pretty much at the base of the neck and shoulder, angled inwards. A little bit of meat damage to the shoulder, but nothing compared to what I've seen bullets do, but I haven't seen anything shot with anything smaller than 6.5 creedmoor. No identifiable exit, about double the size of the other two wounds.

About midway down the animal a small hole high, almost to the spine with a matching wound maybe 5" further down the back and 5" lower on the side. Implying either an up angle quartering away or down angle quartering towards. Zero meat damage, but some of that goopy blood clinging to the underside of the skin.

Third was just in front of the hips and barely below the spine, straight through, no angle.

My two shots were:
    Broadside, forgot to compensate for close range ~50m, bullet left one big hole through the spine.
    Bear crawled/rolled down into thick bushes, I ran up a small rise to get a better view, saw bear in small clearing.
    Second shot bear facing away, down angle through the back and out the leftside ribcage, lungshot, dead almost instantly. My entry wounds were almost touching and the exit was the size of a toonie.

All I can say, I suppose is that watch your shot placement and use an appropriate caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer_Slayer View Post
    Maybe buckshot? maybe a farmer or landowner put a round in a problem bear?
    Or maybe a perfectly fine bear that was potentially turned into a problem bear by some farmer or landowner or someone that
    is scared of them.