Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harvesting an Animal that has Already Been Shot

Re: Harvesting an Animal that has Already Been Shot

Thanks for the feedback Hugh. Like you say, a good reminder to watch your shot placement.

But I see little need to speculate on what may have happened or who may have done it and why.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    I tried posting pictures, but they won't upload. Image hosting sites don't seem to want to do it either. Open to suggestions, as it seems more problematic than it should to post pictures.

To perhaps better describe the shot placements.
    The neck shot was located pretty much at the base of the neck and shoulder, angled inwards. A little bit of meat damage to the shoulder, but nothing compared to what I've seen bullets do, but I haven't seen anything shot with anything smaller than 6.5 creedmoor. No identifiable exit, about double the size of the other two wounds.

About midway down the animal a small hole high, almost to the spine with a matching wound maybe 5" further down the back and 5" lower on the side. Implying either an up angle quartering away or down angle quartering towards. Zero meat damage, but some of that goopy blood clinging to the underside of the skin.

Third was just in front of the hips and barely below the spine, straight through, no angle.

My two shots were:
    Broadside, forgot to compensate for close range ~50m, bullet left one big hole through the spine.
    Bear crawled/rolled down into thick bushes, I ran up a small rise to get a better view, saw bear in small clearing.
    Second shot bear facing away, down angle through the back and out the leftside ribcage, lungshot, dead almost instantly. My entry wounds were almost touching and the exit was the size of a toonie.

All I can say, I suppose is that watch your shot placement and use an appropriate caliber.
    sounds to me like Crap placement with a possible "marginal" cartridge... and the animal pays.
    Guy starts with a neck shot and it screws up, then gets forced into 2 shitty follow ups.

maybe arrows with feild points?

Good thing you took the bear, and congrats

Found the same thing on the bear I took last year -- but it wasn't in as bad condition as described above. Just a bunch of puss in the lower leg - small caliber bullet found.

I don't think this is uncommon.