Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last Hunt

Re: Last Hunt

Awesome thanks for sharing !

So, what do I think is happening to this area and many like it?
    Talking with this other hunter, and hearing from a few other hunters on hbc and folks like the butcher and GO as to whom is having success
    and who is not, left me with some ideas.
    Back when my dad started hunting this area, there were only a few roads in the area, or for that matter in the Trench, comparatively
    speaking, as compared to today.
    And we all know, that all these new roads only exist due to logging.
    Back when there was very little of it in the area, there was a Traditional way the elk used the area.
    Obviously come winter, they have to head low due to snow fall, but this same snow fall always created new slides in scree slopes and thus new feed.
    So, the elk would move up and down on their yearly cycle, hitting the scree slopes for feed during the summer, where the nutrition was much
    higher as compared to staying down low.
    Back then, there were wolves, but few and far between in sightings or even sign.
    (the wolf sign started showing up more regularly by the early 90's for sure, and has never stopped since, however I thought last season,
    that finally the wolves had left the area, but nope, plenty of it this year, and there is one big boy in the group who's track is a good 50%
    bigger then the rest!, But that isn't the "whole problem" by no means, imo).
    Back then the roads that did exist, weren't restricted with plenty more hunters back then as well.
    Gbear were hunted and rare to ever see, and I cant say how much a factor they are, to be honest.

But, there has been one really big "change" and maybe the biggest factor that has changed possibly the "elk's habits"??
    Logging.
    Hearing where some folks are having success, it sound s like much of the elk are no longer taken up high, in remote areas.
    Reason being, not just because there is a lack of elk #'s compared to past history, but the elk just haven't needed to travel very far from
    their winter grounds to find feed.
    Sure, preds like wolves, gbear and the not overly talked about cougars, have shot up in #'s, and most certainly has affected the elk and
    how and where they move, it isn't the only reason.
    These elk no longer have to travel to their traditional scree slopes.
    Sure, in area with higher populations, further down south, I am sure they do populate some of those traditional areas.
    But, the more talk to hunters in the northern parts of the trench, the less they see elk in those Traditioanl places.
    Basically, stay low.
    I also agree, with low elk #'s, elk no longer get "crowded out" and have to expand their territory to find space.
    With these low numbers, they can stay within short distances of their winter range now, and I am sure there is also the benefit of avoiding
    preds by staying lower and closer to humans.
    Now, I do believe if the elk #'s could reach a level they once were, then some of these areas would see an influx of elk again.
    But if they stay low, some of these areas I suspect will never again be great elk country, at least not from the elk "hunting" perspective.
    So, yes, there are elk around, just not where they once roamed.
    Due to changes we have made, they now occupy areas "closer to home" should we say, imo.
    And that's an issue for ranchers and icbc, and those powers that don't want the elk on their land.
    (remind me, who's land????)
    I guess time will tell if we allow the ministry and those factions to dictate the amount of elk we will have in the future.
    Or, will we finally dictate to them "how it's going to be"????

Anyways, I do have a few new cut blocks that I see some potential in for next season, if next season doesn't take me to the Peace instead.
    Who knows?, but I wont waste as much time looking deep and high or as remote!
    I am going low next season, right behind some folks back yard!

Last edited by Bugle M In; 10-14-2019 at 01:19 PM.

But, all is not lost.
    Time spent with my Dad is always a big bonus.
    Hanging with my friend as well and sharing some laughs along the way, is what it's really all about.
    And hey, the scenery and beauty cant be beat.
    And it is always nice to get back up there to see it once again.
    A needed reprieve from day to day life in the LM.
    BMI out.

beautiful pics, congrats to buddy on the bear

Oooops, I forgot to mention my "interesting hour"! that I said I would.
    Again, as has been typical of our past several hunts to the area, the action happens on the last day, the last night.
    Sitting in an area, that I felt had a ton of potential years ago, but didn't pan out as expected.
    An area where we did take one bull, an area where I also passed on a 100 yards broadside on the last evening of the same week as when we
    did take a bull (felt 1 was enough and didn't want to spend the day packing out and rather drive home).
    The same area where we have had chances and screwed up, so potentially 4 other bulls could have been taken.
    This area is now getting "Grown up" and soon will be useless for the most part to hunt.

About an hour before dark, while calling, I get a quick cow elk reply, just once.
    Shortly later, I here timber breaking some 200 yards in front and too my right.
    Then suddenly branches break in front of me to my left, real close.
    Turns out it's a WT doe and a WT spike buck.
    I was expecting a shot to ring out from my hunting partner as it is the last night.
    He didn't have a shot, and I had just heard that cow elk, so I was happy when that buck at 25 yards from me left.

Minutes later, again 200 yards out but directly in front of me, thru some timber, in which we have creek that elk use as a wallow, and then
    more timber on the other side, and just in front of a ridge that had a fire, which I can look into, I hear some running sounds???
    Then I hear the "crying" type sound??
    I don't know what to make of it????
    Not a bear or cubs or wolves or anything of that sort.
    I then once recall I a time where I watched 2 Fisher's go at it.
    Chasing and fighting each other in a tree.
    Sounded like that is what it could be, but they are moving all over the place in there???
    Then, I hear the sounds of what is definelty a cow elk going berserk....mewing a lot.
    Then, this other sound I have never heard in person, only heard of from rading.
    It sounds like a bull elk is in there, but it's not bugling, not at all.
    But it has this hollow sound continuously.
    Reminded me in a way when I had a MD doe run right by me once with a young MD buck in chase.
    We all know they can grunt, but he had this ever so quite little grunt with every step he made in hot pursuit.

I quickly get up, move over to my partner to tell him "hey, we got a cow over there, and I think there is a bull in there as well".
    He heard to cow, he could hear the commotion going on in there, but could not figure out what the hell is going on suddenly.
    Still the commotion continues on, still 200 yards or so away, in the timber, past the creek, and moving from originally our left to now our right.
    Probably only 50 yards or so to go to the left till they hit the open!
    But, light is failing, soon to be dark.
    Sadly there was a temporary shift in wind, somewhat towards them.
    Cant say if it actually got to them or not.
    But then, the cow start calling like crazy, just would not stop!
    But, with each call, and me replying, her sounds didn't move further to our left as we were hoping for, but rather straight back and away from us.
    I thought I was going to have a chance to see what and who was making all that noise and that odd sound.
    That odd sound I just could not place, but it seemed familiar to me.
    I had heard it before, but what was it?????
    All went dark and nothing to be seen.
    So, we did do something we don't normally do when heading home the next morning, and went out real early the day morning to see if
    we could some more action, but nothing!

What was the sound????
    GLUNKING!
    After all these years, I finally heard that for the 1st time!
    And, yes, from what I have researched, it's something a bull uses to push/herd his cows!
    I suspect we had a cow in heat, and a very smart bull that was trying to stay quiet!
    And by no means was he going to let that cow come our way, and due to it being so late, we had no time to go in after them.

So , glunking…..
    I thought I would post a video of the sound I found on the net.
    Sorry, video camera was away as our rifles where in hand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQpc-jSUEq0

Very enjoyable read..and beautiful photos..was even better the second read while sipping coffee. .almost felt like I was there.the beautiful chocolate bear was what I was looking for ..complete last week..just black phase. ..
    very well done..thank you for taking the time to share with us the beauty you found and the success

Much appreciated
    Cheers
    Srupp

Great story writing, Beautiful pic's, some success, and Family.
    Happy Thanksgiving all,

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Yup, well written story. Pictures were excellent. Crazy what a fellow hears when he takes in the silence of nature! I gotta get down into that Koots country!! Thanks again for sharing! Moosinaround
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Well done with the story, thanks for sharing ,and the pictures too.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Thanks for sharing your story and the awesome pics!

Hunting with family and friends is the best.....