Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Property lines - where to find maps

Re: Property lines - where to find maps

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post

After reading this thread, I do thing the onus should be placed on the owner to put up signage, appropriately, and keep up with the signs.
    Because as many state, it is damn near impossible to find out what is private at times.

EXACTLY! My house has a yard that's pretty clearly marked, fenced. People know the extent of my property.
    If you own 10,000 acres in the middle of nowhere, how am i supposed to know i've entered your property???

Many moons ago i ran into a guy up in Kane Valley that I had a chat with. It's actually an interesting chat. I hiked in from Aspen Grove side and passed no signs or fences or markers. Ran into a guy who came over to inform me i was on private property.

I said ok, i didn't see any signs. Were there any?
    He said "well i put them up but people take them down. I can't be sure that every sign is up"
    Then i asked "how do i know you're not just another hunter that wants me out of here?"

lol ... it was not a heated conversation, but he thought about every response for a bit before he spoke up.
    I'm sure ranchers are busy people .... but if you really want people to get the message, you gotta be more diligent with your signage and/or fencing. I know for sure if i had a property i didn't want others to hunt there would be some decent signs off all major nearby roads with a GPS coordinates marking out the boundaries.

As it stands, you really gotta go to the Land title office to be really sure .... and even then, i'm not sure if they would draw up the documents for someone else's property and not just your own.

Yes, annoying, but lets be happy it's not nearly as bad as it is down in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    As far as I am concerned, if we can be charged for trespassing, they should also be charged for false "signage"!!
    Lots of people doing this!

After reading this thread, I do thing the onus should be placed on the owner to put up signage, appropriately, and keep up with the signs.
    To your first point, if falsely marking crown land, they could possibly be charged with interfering with a lawful hunt, but good luck getting that charge even considered by COs. I agree 100% that the people knowingly signing crown land should be charged. Tough to prove though.

For the second point, I would support a “no signs, no charges” scenario. There are so many spots that aren’t fenced or signed, and you can cross from crown to private land in one stride. If it’s not marked, or obvious, I think a warning is all that should be allowed. Of course,some a-holes will always take advantage of a law like that and knowingly hunt on private land which would cause a lot of potential issues too.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    EXACTLY! My house has a yard that's pretty clearly marked, fenced. People know the extent of my property.
    If you own 10,000 acres in the middle of nowhere, how am i supposed to know i've entered your property???

Many moons ago i ran into a guy up in Kane Valley that I had a chat with. It's actually an interesting chat. I hiked in from Aspen Grove side and passed no signs or fences or markers. Ran into a guy who came over to inform me i was on private property.

I said ok, i didn't see any signs. Were there any?
    He said "well i put them up but people take them down. I can't be sure that every sign is up"
    Then i asked "how do i know you're not just another hunter that wants me out of here?"
    Kane Valley is a great example. I’ve hunted up there quite a bit, and I obey any signs I see, but there is so much that is left in question once you get past the main clusters of houses.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

From the Hunting Regs:

Private or leased property is considered enclosed if any
    one of the following conditions are met:
    • there are clearly visible signs
    prohibiting trespassing posted at
    each ordinary access point; or
    • the property is surrounded by a
    lawful fence; or
    • the property is surrounded by a
    natural boundary such as a river
    bank or a 4 1/2 foot hedge.

From this, there is no onus on the hunter to prove the hunter knows what is private or not, it is up the owner/lessor to show the land is private or no-go.
    Last edited by Ltbullken; 10-15-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

[QUOTE=Redthies;2123771For the second point, I would support a “no signs, no charges” scenario. There are so many spots that aren’t fenced or signed, and you can cross from crown to private land in one stride. If it’s not marked, or obvious, I think a warning is all that should be allowed. Of course,some a-holes will always take advantage of a law like that and knowingly hunt on private land which would cause a lot of potential issues too.[/QUOTE] There is a Trespass Act (and regulations) that define "enclosed land" and a "lawful fence". Just because someone tells you it's private land doesn't mean you breaking any laws. There's also leases, permits and tenures of crown land and they have their own rules too.

At the end of the day it's better to get along with private land owners. Most of them hunt too.