Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Property lines - where to find maps

Re: Property lines - where to find maps

Have you tried talking to the property owner?

I know it’s not what you asked for but would likely eliminate the chances of an accidental trespassing conflict. Who knows might be able to get permission to hunt the land it self or trespass through if needed

I feel for ya.
    Last season along Hat Creek, it was a bit of a nightmare to figure out what was and was not private.
    Signs all over that say no shooting at times, but never saying private or left unmarked.
    Purposely done so I suspect.
    BC Mapbooks could add that feature to their gps maps, and they would make a killing in sales, imo.

I have encountered many "no hunting, no trespassing, keep out, private property signs" over the years.

It is not uncommon for people to post up b.s. signs just to keep people out. Be diligent and dont believe every sign that you see. Some are fake. Verify.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Have you tried talking to the property owner?

I know it’s not what you asked for but would likely eliminate the chances of an accidental trespassing conflict. Who knows might be able to get permission to hunt the land it self or trespass through if needed
    Yes.
    "No. You cant hunt there. No, you cant park there either. No, theres no easement on that road, if you park there I'll have ya towed, I dont care what you've been told."

Etc etc.

I have no interest in knocking on doors or talking. I just wanna know where I park is legal and that's it.

I was using imapBC to look at property boundaries for a friend's place near 100 Mile. The site still has the survey markers and I turned on the aerial photography. Decent resolution but the property lines were out by dozens of metres. The accuracy is better in Langley around my house. So which is correct -- imapBC or the IP (iron post) in the middle of nowhere?

Anyway, I wouldn't trust the online data for exact information. You can also use BCAssessment to look at ownership and give you an idea of what's going on.

Then best bet is to talk to the local regional district office .
    Have good details about the location so staff can fine the right map easily
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

The issue with looking for "another source" is that there isn't one. Any publications (whether they be government or private) that show land ownership status are all referencing the exact same government database. The info you're looking for is available in the Front Counter overlay for Google Earth but it can be a bit of a challenge to find.

If you need a hand looking at a specific spot I can probably help you out but I realize that you might not want to do that. PM me if you're interested.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

I get the frustration for sure.
    I know a spot where I hunt elk, there is private property, and I also know (because my dad back in the day was considering purchasing it),
    to a good degree, where the boundary is.

BUT, the owner placed signs not only on "his side of the road" to which is his property.
    But also "on the other side of the road" which isn't his!!

As far as I am concerned, if we can be charged for trespassing, they should also be charged for false "signage"!!
    Lots of people doing this!

Like I said about hat creek last year.
    I am all good with respecting private property (well, I have to!), and appreciate "legal signs", IT, would be nice if I can be respectful for
    their wishes, they could be respectful of everyone else as well and state "private property ends here".

But you will never see that happen!
    They like the "deception" for those that don't know.

After reading this thread, I do thing the onus should be placed on the owner to put up signage, appropriately, and keep up with the signs.
    Because as many state, it is damn near impossible to find out what is private at times.

Yes, people put up signs often that say no hunting or trespassing even though it is outside of their actual property.

I did get the Google Earth overlay to work at some point, but i found it unreliable. Glad i'm not the only one that is noticing inconsistencies. I know some people have had issues with the Douglas Ranch and access through it ... it's a shame that our public FSRs can, essentially, be "claimed" by a rancher and unless you come prepared you can be scared away rather easily.

Anywho, i paid the $10 to get the private land layer for iHunter ..... it seems like a pretty good one to have on hand.

Thanks guys!

What I've found quite interesting with iHunter is that there is some discrepancy between what some landowners are posting as 'private' and what the app shows as crown. And the other apps available also show the same. Also, remember guys, what isn't posted and signed has no come back on us as hunters.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!