Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 Fall Ladner

Re: 2019 Fall Ladner

Where was this and what breed is your dog?

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    Where was this and what breed is your dog?
    Sorry, but it's undisclosed location since it was a friend who told me where I might see some. Wired-haired pointing griffon (griff or WPG for short).

gotcha .. how big is a griff? Eventually would love a retriever but more to the medium sized.

gotcha .. how big is a griff? Eventually would love a retriever but more to the medium sized.
    According to the standard female griffs should be 48-55 pounds, males 55-65 pounds. Mine is 49 pounds. They're supposed to be medium size dogs but tell that to some of the American breeders who seemed to be breeding to get monster size griffs. I've heard of some in the 80 pounds or even more range down there.

The nice thing about them is they're classified as a versatile bird dog so they point upland birds, retrieve equally well on land or water, and they can track fur. They're pretty easy to train and make great family members,,,,they love all people, any age or size.

Last edited by mastercaster; 02-16-2020 at 06:50 PM.

thanks.. that's a hefty sized dog

thanks.. that's a hefty sized dog
    Even though griffs are a medium size dog they are bigger than either of the brittany spaniels I had. Probably a little larger than springers, as well, but not near as big as any of the retriever breeds like labs, goldens, or chessies which are classified as large breed dogs or some of the other versatiles like pudlepointers, GWP/DDs, or weimaraners.

I just wonder how small a dog I could eventually go for that could still take a swim in tidal waters and make it back with a goose.

Was out on Friday on a boat.. canoe pass and north of westham and it was very quiet. Saw geese inland as I was driving in. A big flock on those fields by the highway where the temples are but I assume that's no go .. no snowies to speak of .. Quiet for everyone else?