Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Fall Ladner

Re: 2019 Fall Ladner

Got nothing last day as the birds had me figured out from earlier in the week when I got a couple (pintail and widgeon drakes). Had a beautiful sunset and was kept company by 30+ swans! They did not give two sh*ts that I was popping off within a stone's throw. They just kept on feeding and only moved off when I went to retrieve my dekes.

So ends duck season. I had a lot of firsts this season for me. First pintail, first bufflehead, first Eurasian widgeon. I also thought more about decoying this year and built up my stock of toys and even converted four Canada shells into floaters. I was also able to get my range more reliably this year and brought down lots pass-shooting as well as experiencing the joys of potting easy decoying birds. I also picked up my calling game. After a previous season of just random 'shots in the dark' I have the spots and its duck movements figured out for my area. My fridge always had a duck or two or four in it and my friends were fed well with the different varieties. I was "blessed" this season to be not working throughout the season (laid off just before season start!) and was able to go out twice or more a week whenever I felt like it. I don't think I need any more gear for what I can pack in.

My goal for next fall is to either find better land, partner with a hunter with retriever, or get into a boat or kayak as working public land is still hard as the birds have all of the bay to themselves and I have to catch them on the fringes or trafficking. Without a boat or dog I lost a few birds including one day I would have limited out if not for seeing a couple bodies swept out of reach.

I will try for geese in February but need better spots for them (or boat).

It's going to be a long wait until next October!

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post

It's going to be a long wait until next October!
    I hunted yesterday, as well. We stayed out all day long just to prolong the hunt. LOL We we ended up one short of a limit because there was NO night flight at all,,,,kind of surprising.

I'm already entering the throws of withdrawl!! Haha

Does pay to have a good dog! 90% of the recoveries are blind retrieves since the dog can't see much while in the blind, although mine is always trying to sneak a peek out from the side, but she made a couple a great retrieves that I thought she'd never find due to the distance (gliders that end up well over a field away) and terrain (blackberry brambles).

Good job!

My hunting friends with dogs and boats are always cheekily making fun of my achievements. I would love to step up to that world believe me. I love dogs but need to find another job first, then convince my allergic gf (she can't stand long hair dogs), then move to a place where I can have more space for toys or dog. Realistically I think next fall being in a kayak is what I will end up with. Then I'll at least be able to get on the X better and be able to reel in some of the cripples who have swam or floated away this year.

Finished off my season Thursday after going to a field I know and I had to walk a tilting plank across one ditch, then to retrieve some ducks in the next field over had to cross another plank that disappeared under water when I crossed it, the ditch was so over-full. Kind of creepy walking in the water and not seeing the board.

Anyway, ended up with two widgeons and four mallards.

Ended of the season with two Canadas. Haven't been out for years and this season made me realize how much I prefer birds to big game, even with filling my elk tag this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BowsUp View Post
    Ended of the season with two Canadas. Haven't been out for years and this season made me realize how much I prefer birds to big game, even with filling my elk tag this year.
    That must have been a while back. I can't wait for geese to open again.

Have to admit, I think I enjoy the waterfowl hunting just as much as getting out for big game ,,,love doing both but the nice thing about waterfowl hunting is the season is so much longer, it's closer to home, and getting to see my dog in action is what is the icing on the cake! Big game hunting is more of a challenge, though, and probably a little more rewarding because of that.

Misplaced post. They are Island geese. Closed the 24th, no split season where I am.

I thought the whole point was watching the dog work.

Quote Originally Posted by BowsUp View Post
    Misplaced post. They are Island geese. Closed the 24th, no split season where I am.

I thought the whole point was watching the dog work.
    I enjoy watching a bird dog do its thing a lot,,,, especially a pointing breed during an upland hunt like pheasants or chukars, more so than sending the dogs out of a blind for recoveries. Although, there's something to be said about sending a dog on good long blind retrieve over land and water and then see them coming back with a bird that you didn't think there was a hope in hell of getting.

That there is the icing on the cake!

Geese opened up again on Tuesday. Friend and I took a boat around Fraser around Westham yesterday and I took a walk around as well including Boundary Bay. Only Canadas I saw were in George C. Riefel. Nothing flying and no sign of snows either. Anyone seen anything?

I was out for a few hours opening day. Took one shot at a small group that passed overhead about 50 yards high. Had to virtually jump to the side because it almost hit me. The dog, didn't even have to retrieve it but I tossed it off to the side for her to bring it back. It was a bout third the size of her. LOL

That's all I saw, though.